Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL500, 2008 GL450
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put the SL in reverse it takes several (read 5) seconds before it feels like it is slipping into reverse. When I press the accelerator it shutters and feels like I have the clutch half way disengaged on a manual transmission and then goes into reverse fairly normally.

The car has 85k on it and I doubt the transmission fluid has ever been changed. The transmission fluid is full and there is no burned smell.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

1995 SL500

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
prathermj since you don't know when the transmission was served I'd suggest you by changing the fluids and the filters as a starting point. It's a cheap move and since your car has 85K you should do it anyway.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1996 SL500
132 Posts
When I put the SL in reverse it takes several (read 5) seconds before it feels like it is slipping into reverse. When I press the accelerator it shutters and feels like I have the clutch half way disengaged on a manual transmission and then goes into reverse fairly normally.

The car has 85k on it and I doubt the transmission fluid has ever been changed. The transmission fluid is full and there is no burned smell.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

1995 SL500

I had the same problem and TCM module had to be replaced. Of course fluid flush was done first to see if it fix the problem and it did not.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
river, his trans is differnt..you are a .7 and he's a .3.. No TCM to replace.

prath, if your fluid has Never been changed, drain the pan and change the filter, Sometimes on neglected transmissions doing a Full flush can be catastrophic.

Chances are though your reverse clutches are Spent, and the piston is @ it's limit when it comes to engaging reverse. I'd plan on a new trans.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1995 R129
101 Posts
I have recently had the exact same problem in my 1995 SL 500. I took it to the dealer for a transmission service and it completely resolved the issue, although it still takes a few seconds to shift into revearse.

·
Registered
1993 300SL
6 Posts
Ok, I have been told to start a new thread on this. My transmission is slipping in reverse and works well in all the forward gears. Is there an easy fix for this, or do I need to get it overhauled????

Moderator Note: Duplicate topic merged with the above.

·
Registered
1995 R129
101 Posts
I had the same problem as noted above. It got better with a transmission service by the local Mercedes dealership. Still was slightly slow to engage reverse. Several weeks later it got worse to the point that it seemed as though when you hit the accelerator in reverse, the clutch was half engage. Took it to a local foreign car transmission expert and was told that the reverse bands? had worn out. He did an overhaaul for 3k. No problem since. No delay to go in reverse and no hesitation. I had 150k miles on it.

·
Registered
1993 300SL
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
Mine has 150K on it also. Im taking it to a retired mercedes mechanic today. He told me that it probably just needs the reverse bands replaced and all the seals. He didnt give me a price, but I got a price from a transmission shop of 2,250. He says it will be cheaper than that and wants to trade it out with me. He has a 38 chevy coupe that needs an interior. The transmission wont be near as much as the interior. That interior will probably about $3,000

1 - 11 of 11 Posts