·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190D 1985 (W201)
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Its me again and my 190D 1985.
Today I had a problem with my tranny..
When taking off after a fully stop my transmission doesn't engage on the 1st gear and it consequently it takes the RPMS go high and slowly accelerate and then it engages or change to second gear and it goes as normal. All other gears seem to work PERFECT.
Don't know if you guys can help me out or give me any advice...
Some months ago I had it rebuilt and they replaced the vacuum modulator, governor, rebuilt kit (clutches, bands, pistons, and seals).

Could it be a vacuum issue? I can hear a whistle coming from somewhere inside the hood.. Could it be the problem? A loose vacumm hose or leak?

Hope somebody can help me.. This problem is killing me! :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts
Hi.
Its me again and my 190D 1985.
Today I had a problem with my tranny..
When taking off after a fully stop my transmission doesn't engage on the 1st gear and it consequently it takes the RPMS go high and slowly accelerate and then it engages or change to second gear and it goes as normal. All other gears seem to work PERFECT.
Don't know if you guys can help me out or give me any advice...
Some months ago I had it rebuilt and they replaced the vacuum modulator, governor, rebuilt kit (clutches, bands, pistons, and seals).

Could it be a vacuum issue? I can hear a whistle coming from somewhere inside the hood.. Could it be the problem? A loose vacumm hose or leak?

Hope somebody can help me.. This problem is killing me! :crybaby2:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but all pre 190 models started at 2nd gear. Only the last year or so production years of the 190E started in first gear. Try moving your shifter to 2 which should make your car start in 1st and then move it to 3rd then finally to drive. I used to have that problem with my car where it was so slow accelerating when my first gear started to mess up. Swapped the transmission with a 300E when my 4th gear finally gave way and I didn't want to pay for a rebuild.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, on my car at least when the shifter was on 2nd I used to have one change which means from 1st to 2nd, then pulling it up gears untill 4th. Right now it's more than noticeable that a first gear is screwed since it won't accelerate until reaching some speed an then engage in to second. The worst part is when making a full stop going up hill.. It won't move, I have to accelerate really hard (doing high Rpms) and then it goes..

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts
Well, on my car at least when the shifter was on 2nd I used to have one change which means from 1st to 2nd, then pulling it up gears untill 4th. Right now it's more than noticeable that a first gear is screwed since it won't accelerate until reaching some speed an then engage in to second. The worst part is when making a full stop going up hill.. It won't move, I have to accelerate really hard (doing high Rpms) and then it goes..
If you are going up a hill then you should be in first anyways. When pressing the gas hard your car should down shift and that's when you can feel your car accelerate a little faster. I've driving up hills in SF and those are pretty damn steep. Putting your car in second is a must.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Try replacing these K1, K2 & B1 springs.

1st, see if you can get them from the dealer (wish there were docs like this for the gas version :( )

If not get this kit, I bought the "gas" version kit from them (very fast shipping & great communication), but you want the DIESEL version & installed them...it has different firmness options...I have been swapping them in/out to see which option I prefer....still evaluating.

ctpowertrain items - Get great deals on k722a, Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everybody.

The car has been fixed!! =D
The problem was on the servo for the band that applies for 1st gear. One seal went out of place causing not enough pressure on the servo to press the band... I had to remove transmission..
Now the Benz is back on the road!!
Now I need to replace the diesel injectors (I think nobody has never replaced them)..

Thanks anyways.
Regards.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Hi everybody.

The car has been fixed!! =D
The problem was on the servo for the band that applies for 1st gear. One seal went out of place causing not enough pressure on the servo to press the band... I had to remove transmission..
Now the Benz is back on the road!!
Now I need to replace the diesel injectors (I think nobody has never replaced them)..

Thanks anyways.
Regards.
How much did that set you back? Did you change the fluid out?

My tranny is modified with faster gearing so the pick up is quicker compared to the stock transmission. It used to start off on the 2nd gear with the stock tranny and it still starts off on 2nd gear with the new one. I can override it by downshifting all the way down and back up to D, then it will start on first gear. This is on the 1993 2.6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts