Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97' SL320 with 33k miles. The transmission will not shift until the engine warms up. I took it in for service at a local MB dealer and they told me they changed the shift sensor, but honestly I don't feel a difference. Any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I too have experienced the same symptom. However, I believe the tranny needs to be warm, not the engine. I've noticed that the first shift into 2nd gear every morning will occur only if the engine is tached to 3400RPM+... Has been like that since new... 52K trouble free miles otherwise!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it really bothers you, it can be solved by starting off in first as opposed to drive then second etc... this will bypass the computer controled shift patterns.

·
Registered
1995 Sl320 Roadster
66 Posts
This problem happens on the Sl quite often.It takes a few minutes for the engine and to warm up and the transmission.Mine will run in 1st gear for about 20 seconds while I go down the alley.When I enter onto the street,the transmission shifts into 2nd gear just fine.I have read the MB CD disc and it is not uncommon to experience this event.Your transmission is not broken.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,212 Posts
The transmission is designed to delay upshifting when the engine is cold to cause the catalytic converter to reach temperature quicker. The dealer should know this. The feature can be easily disabled on a pre-1996 car by removing a relay, but I know of nothing to be done on newer models.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Great news! Mine does this every morning summer or winter. No big deal now that I know why.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts