Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '85 Euro 190D 2.0 liter with automatic transmission. 87K miles on the car, which is a real beauty. I just had the transmission rebuilt by a very experienced and respected indie here (dried seals and leaking fluid moderately). Everything seems to work fine now, except for the following, and I'm wondering if this shifting pattern is normal:

Shifts from 1st to 2nd fine (I don't floor it often), shifts from 2nd to 3rd fine, and from 3rd to 4th fine. But if I'm accelerating very moderately and let up on the acc when it's in third, it'll shift into 4th immediately (every time I do this), NO MATTER what speed I'm going; this happened today when I let up on the acc and the car shifted from 3rd to 4th at about 18 or 19 mph.

Is this a normal shifting pattern for this transmission? I wasn't prepared for this shifting into 4th just because I let up on the accelerator. I would greatly appreciate some insight into this question, because I don't know if this is what I should expect or not. Thanks for enduring my long post.
Hemersam

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
190D

Correction: my 190D has only 57K on the odometer. Just for the record.
Hemersam

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trans

Scottx: thanks for replying. I'm glad to know my car is shifting like everyone else's 190. It just seems curious that MB would make the trans that way, since when it shifts into 4th at a low speed, the engine starts lugging, or so it seems to me. My '78 280SE doesn't do that, but then, it's a different car with a different transmission (I guess). Thanks again.
Hemersam
P.S. This is my first diesel, so I'm learning.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6 auto
250 Posts
I *HATE* the automatic transmission on the 190e. It's the worst thing on the whole car by far. Everything else is engineered well, but the auto trans...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transmission

One final (I hope) question: on my '85 190 2.0 diesel, the shifts on the auto trans from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are smooth, but from 3rd to
4th is very "thumpy." Is this normal, or can an adjustment (modulator?) be done on individual gears? Thanks.
Hemersam

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,250 Posts
Correction: my 190D has only 57K on the odometer. Just for the record.
Hemersam
Thank you for making me very jealous; that car is practically new! Congratulations.

The shift is normal, but you are really feeling it at low speeds because of the diesel engine; it is not in the "torque range" so you are lugging the engine. With a diesel engine, you have to drive it like you have stolen it to keep the engine in top shape (keep the revs high, > 2000 rpm if possible).

As for the thumping during 3-4 shift, given that the transmission was rebuilt, I would check out the vacuum system and vac levels at the modulator first. Most shift problems on these diesel cars are caused by vacuum issues.

Also, because of the torque issues, pls check your flex disks first as they may be worn. They have rubber components that break down over the years and may have become sloppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts