Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

transmission shifting

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dabu260 
#1 ·
hey, ive been away for sometime trying to solve the shifting problem in my transmission...
the problem is, when i drive normally, upshifts and downshifts are perfect. but when i accelerate fully ( pressing the kickdown switch ). the first upshift ( 1st to 2nd ) is perfect, the second upshift doesnt happen ( 2nd to 3rd).
if im driving at 80 Km/hr and i press the pedal fully with the kickdown, then downshift happens, but the upshift (3rd to 4th ) never happens.
so what im having is no upshits from 2nd to 3rd, nor from 3rd to 4th, while the kickdown switch is pressed.
i had this thing since i bought the car, i did overhaul to the engine and tranny.
still the problem is there.
fuel system is all new, kickdown switch is new. valve body is repaired. im tottaly confused.
tranny oil level is good, new governer, clutches filter installed.
any help? plz? any one with a similar problem??
thanks

#4 ·
#5 ·
actually what solved my problem, was getting a new valve body!
i found one laying in a store for sometime.
after installation upshifts and downshifts are perfect.
turned out that the guy who repaired my valve body didnt have new sping set, so he used springs from other valve bodies!!!
if i knew how to fix it myself, my tranny wouldnt be a testing rat for more than 12 times repair :mad:
got few final adjusments though to finish.

#6 ·
actually what solved my problem, was getting a new valve body!
i found one laying in a store for sometime.
after installation upshifts and downshifts are perfect.
Well someone asked in another thread why do I DIM. Here you go.

turned out that the guy who repaired my valve body didnt have new sping set, so he used springs from other valve bodies!!!
I cant complain too much I actually did this on the first automatic trans I rebuilt for a 1960 T bird, I was about 15 years old.

if i knew how to fix it myself, my tranny wouldnt be a testing rat for more than 12 times repair :mad:
got few final adjusments though to finish.

#7 ·
I know my tranny is kind of jerky, but it still runs strong so I don't worry about it. Too bad they didn't use a better final gear in the 4 speed auto. I like that it is high revving but not when you are running 4500rpm at 85mph, with long legs.

I heard of someone using a taxi tranny in an xk150/120 which sounds like it'd really keep the revs low for better mileage. I think the car has enough grunt to run a different transmission, but it works good now.

#8 ·
I have 2004 CLK 320 and my car sat for 5 months without being driven in cold weather. When I started to drive my car about 2 weeks ago, the transmission seems to be messed up like it's started in high gear. when I turn off the car and then turn back on, it drives the way it should but then it will act up again in a little while, and now the check engine light came on because it wouldn't go into gear. Does anybody have any advise on what I should do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.