Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6L Auto
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1989 190E 2.6L gas/auto has a problem. The transmission shifter is out of line with the indicator. If I pull the shifter back a click, it is 'above' Reverse, but the trans is actually engaged in reverse. If i go back another click, it is at N, but really in Drive. The whole thing is pushed too far forward.

The previous owner had the trans out for rebuild.

How do I adjust it back?

Oh one more thing. Am I supposed to be able to pull the shifter out of park with the car off, key out? This seems abnormal to me. My toddler daughter popped it out of park once!

HELP

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
52 Posts
prevost3000 - 4/1/2006 4:35 PM
Oh one more thing. Am I supposed to be able to pull the shifter out of park with the car off, key out? This seems abnormal to me. My toddler daughter popped it out of park once!

HELP
In my 2.6 I can move the shifter out of park even when the car is turned off. So I think thats normal.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Babyhands - 4/2/2006 6:08 AM

prevost3000 - 4/1/2006 4:35 PM

HELP
In my 2.6 I can move the shifter out of park even when the car is turned off. So I think thats normal.
Yes it's normal. All pre-97(+-) auto transmissions have this. With other brands' transmissions, there's button that needs to be pushed in to move the lever out of park, and into R from any direction. Also for downshifting manually. But Mercedes trannies don't have this because the shifter's pattern is supposed to 'secure' that the lever could not be accidentially moved out of it's place. You'd have to force it around the figures of the plastic pattern. It's not fool proof, not by far, but now you know... hehe
Put the handbrake on if you want to make sure.

·
Registered
190E 3.0
342 Posts
On the bottom of the selector there is a rod that connects this to the gearbox. There is a clamp that can be slackened to adlust the position of the lever.
Hope that makes sence. I really should stop posting when I get tired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts