Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 06 ML 350...74k miles.....no problems, regular service....except I have now learned that i should have had a transmission service at 50k (interesting that the dealship never mentioned it)
Transmission is still smooth......I'm told that the work will be about $400.
What do you think about doing it? I plan to keep this thing for at least another couple of years

·
Registered
12 ML350 Bluetec pkg 2, 08 BMW 135i, 2012 F250 PS Diesel
213 Posts
Had ours done at 39K (per service recommendation). The transmission was shifting fine before it was changed...but had it done anyway. Shifts seemed a bit smoother after the flush, but not much changed in overall "feel". We paid around 375.00.

I'd have it done, just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have an 06 ML 350...74k miles.....no problems, regular service....except I have now learned that i should have had a transmission service at 50k (interesting that the dealship never mentioned it)
Transmission is still smooth......I'm told that the work will be about $400.
What do you think about doing it? I plan to keep this thing for at least another couple of years
Absolutely get it done, you are practically at twice the rec serv interval.Chances are if you dont do it, you will have a failure in the future which will be several thousand dollars, by the way, rec oil change interval is every 39k miles not 50. sounds like your MB service advisor dropped the ball by not doing the first service when needed.

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Have it done. The dealer recommends a one time flush at 40K mi. They will replace oil, filter, and pan gasket as well. There are fine metal particles from the gears that need to be flushed out.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Have it done. The dealer recommends a one time flush at 40K mi. They will replace oil, filter, and pan gasket as well. There are fine metal particles from the gears that need to be flushed out.

Incorrect, the transmission fluid is required to be flushed and filter changed every 39K.

In the case of the OP, he will need a complete system flush, fluid and filter change and more than likely revert to 20-30K changes until those wear metals are reduced.

Take a sample of the fluid during the change. Then after. If your dealer can't figure out how to do a complete system flush then you are going to want to limit your changes to no more than 20K.

By the way there is NO SUCH THING as lifetime fluid, the transmission generates MORE WEAR METALS than the engine! If you truly subscribe to lifetime fluid, why bother changing your engines oil?

No wonder why so many people have transmission problems.

Also, you will want to change the fluid in the transfer case as well as the front and rear differentials USE ONLY the OEM fluid!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts