Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 2000 C230 Kompressor. it has 94,000 miles and is in great condition with no leaks. i was thinking of changing the transmission fluid. a mechanic friend told me the transmission on the Kompressors are built so they never need a transmission service. moreover he said anything with that many miles without a transmission service is asking for trouble if i service it.

he said if i were to service the transmission it might start slipping because the old transmission fluid acts as microscopic ball bearings and cushins the gears.

anyone have any input or ideas?
vegas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's a good idea to change the transmission fluid - but definitely change the filter as well. It's really not a complicated job. When I changed mine, the fluid was black. In my opinion, the idea that any machine should have "lifetime fill" fluid is ridiculous, especially when you have clutches and gears involved. If you do the fluid and filter replacement, and the transmission starts to slip (and it was only the old fluid that was holding things together), you had a problem to begin with - better to find out now, when it may be more convenient to replace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts