Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is recommending a one time service at 63,000 km (39,000 mi.) which is ok according to the manual.

The thing I am worried about, is that they want to connect a filter machine to the transmission and run the used oil through it and then refill it back with the same.

I always thought replacement of the oil is best practice along with a brand new filter.

:confused:

Appreciate your opinions on this topic!

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
there is no machine that does that, the transmission in your car requires a filler machine that pumps new fluid into the trans through the drain plug hole. they should remove the trans pan, replace the filter, gasket and pan bolts then pump the new fluid in. on other cars like honda and what not a machine is hooked to the cooler lines and while the oil fluid is pumped out new fluid is pumped in. there is no machine that i know that filters the fluid and pumped back in the car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My dealer is recommending a one time service at 63,000 km (39,000 mi.) which is ok according to the manual.

The thing I am worried about, is that they want to connect a filter machine to the transmission and run the used oil through it and then refill it back with the same.

I always thought replacement of the oil is best practice along with a brand new filter.

I had mine done awhile ago. Pan holds about 4 ltrs which they drain and then they fill/flush through cooler lines etc,change the filter reinstall the pan and top up for a total of 9 ltrs, and depending on your hourly rate , expect around 400 bucks. It will be new oil only so there was a misunderstanding of the service reps info

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got my car back from the dealer and the tranny is shifting really smoothly. Oil/filter and gasket were replaced. Well worth the $300 for the service. Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts

Service due every 39K not a one time service.

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
Not to be argumentative but my copy of booklet does not say that tran fluid has to be replaced every 39k...I think I will contact dealer for opinion...

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked with dealer and confirmed every 39k even if the booklet says one time at 39k.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
local dealer here in twin cities says that first fluid change @ 39k miles is important since debris could be created by wear in...after that he says that another change is not scheduled due to longevity of synthetic tranny fluid...when i pressed him what he would do if he owned it he said maybe every 100k. frankly after seeing fluid in these after 80 to 100k i think i will go with something in that range.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
local dealer here in twin cities says that first fluid change @ 39k miles is important since debris could be created by wear in...after that he says that another change is not scheduled due to longevity of synthetic tranny fluid...when i pressed him what he would do if he owned it he said maybe every 100k. frankly after seeing fluid in these after 80 to 100k i think i will go with something in that range.
There is no need to change it ever again after the 39K service unless a mechanic ever recommends it. We all have to get used to the idea that the synthetic oils are that good. The dealer you asked also needs to get used to that idea although he makes $$$ if he does otherwise.

There is NO WAY automakers such as MB, Audi-VW, BMW would make such a recommendation if it weren't true. Just ask yourselves, why all three would make the same claim? One may have to check the fluid level every so many thousand miles etc... but not necessarily change the fluid. You mentioned that you have seen these trannys after 80-100K. Are you referring to the same 7-G transmission or other MB tranny? Did you send out a sample for a test, or you visually inspected it? I guarantee you that if you check the color of the engine oil at 5K miles it will look fairly dirty. We both know however that the viscosity is fine for another 5K miles don't we?

In short, everyone should follow the maintenance schedule the manufacturer dictates, and not what their little heart desires!

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
There is no need to change it ever again after the 39K service unless a mechanic ever recommends it. We all have to get used to the idea that the synthetic oils are that good. The dealer you asked also needs to get used to that idea although he makes $$$ if he does otherwise.

There is NO WAY automakers such as MB, Audi-VW, BMW would make such a recommendation if it weren't true.
Not sure about that. BMW and Mercedes are rapidly back-pedalling in regard to so-called "lifetime" transmission fluid. As I understand it, the problem is not so much with the fluid as with the crud that wears off the various components over time and deposits itself in the various small channels and raceways inside the unit.

Whether or not to change tranny fluid and how frequently is a much discussed topic with no apparent clear choice. Don't forget that manufacturers build to a target average lifetime which, for most German vehicles, is 100,000 miles or seven years. Anything beyond that is a bonus. The service recommendations are usually based on that target, not for people who plan to drive 250,000 miles!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not sure about that. BMW and Mercedes are rapidly back-pedalling in regard to so-called "lifetime" transmission fluid. As I understand it, the problem is not so much with the fluid as with the crud that wears off the various components over time and deposits itself in the various small channels and raceways inside the unit.

Whether or not to change tranny fluid and how frequently is a much discussed topic with no apparent clear choice. Don't forget that manufacturers build to a target average lifetime which, for most German vehicles, is 100,000 miles or seven years. Anything beyond that is a bonus. The service recommendations are usually based on that target, not for people who plan to drive 250,000 miles!
If you have any official MB and BMW links that discuss back-pedaling please post them. Also, please understand that no matter how many times you change the fluid, it will never last for 250,000 miles. That is just not going to happen with a complex auto transmission with 9 gears! You are talking about a car's lifetime, and here we are discussing the transmission lifetime!

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you have any official MB and BMW links that discuss back-pedaling please post them. Also, please understand that no matter how many times you change the fluid, it will never last for 250,000 miles. That is just not going to happen with a complex auto transmission with 9 gears! You are talking about a car's lifetime, and here we are discussing the transmission lifetime!
I have friends in Germany who have an Ml with over 600, 000 miles/ 1million kms on the original motor and transmission and many of those are high speed autobahn miles. Nothing more than following rec service intervals which are the same as ours. Make of that what you will

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I want to say is after replacing the fluid & filter at 45k miles, the tranny is super smooooth! It felt sluggish prior to the service and also had a little jerky feeling after accelerating from stops. I think I will evaluate its performance at about 90K and make a decision then.

Is it easy to service yourself or do you need special equipment?

·
Registered
437 Posts
All I want to say is after replacing the fluid & filter at 45k miles, the tranny is super smooooth! It felt sluggish prior to the service and also had a little jerky feeling after accelerating from stops. I think I will evaluate its performance at about 90K and make a decision then.

Is it easy to service yourself or do you need special equipment?
I am with you on this one. I will evaluate the performance of my transmission at 80 or 90K miles and decide then. Mine also shifted smoother after it's 39K mile fluid change but I attributed it to possible metal shavings that must have accumulated since new. As far as changing it as a diy, people say that you need special tools so I personally would take it in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have friends in Germany who have an Ml with over 600, 000 miles/ 1million kms on the original motor and transmission and many of those are high speed autobahn miles. Nothing more than following rec service intervals which are the same as ours. Make of that what you will
That's impressive no doubt. There was work done on the tranny at some point right? Also, they may be driving a lot of highway miles which is good for a tranny since it stays on the highest gear for prolonged amounts of time. I would doubt if a taxi cab can get this mileage out of a transmission. It would be interesting to know what schedule taxis follow.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's impressive no doubt. There was work done on the tranny at some point right? Also, they may be driving a lot of highway miles which is good for a tranny since it stays on the highest gear for prolonged amounts of time. I would doubt if a taxi cab can get this mileage out of a transmission. It would be interesting to know what schedule taxis follow.
No work done on anything other than routine maint on brakes and rotating parts etc and all fluid/filter changes as per spec. also in Germany and many other western European countries, %90 of the taxis and police cars are MB products of one sort or another and taxis are Very high mileage units

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
If you have any official MB and BMW links that discuss back-pedaling please post them.
BMW has stopped referring to "lifetime" transmission fluid and now requires that it be changed periodically. If that isn't "back-pedaling", define it how you like.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No work done on anything other than routine maint on brakes and rotating parts etc and all fluid/filter changes as per spec. also in Germany and many other western European countries, %90 of the taxis and police cars are MB products of one sort or another and taxis are Very high mileage units
I know that there are a lot of MB taxis in Europe, I am from there originally.
Although the vast majority have manual transmissions for obvious reasons there are a lot of automatics as well. My point was that it would be interesting to find out what tranny fluid change schedule they follow given the extreme usage their cars endure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts