Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 S500 with Sport Package
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I have a 2006 S500 with 110,000k miles. Starting about a year ago I had a slight rumble sound and feel when pulling out of my driveway under low acceleration with the car shifting about 2100 rpm. It was almost a "rythmic" or "pulsating" low tone noise and slight feel.

I reported it to the mechanic when having other work performed:
Transmission Mounts Replaced
Engine Mounts Replaced
Rear Axle Center Housing Seals Replaced

He diagnosed the noise he heard as the Idler Upper Pulley and replaced.

The symptoms did seem to go away at the time, or perhaps I was just wishing it away.

The problem seems to have returned:

It only occurs when the car has been sitting a long while. It only occurs under slow even acceleration. The sound certainly mitigates when the gears shift. It does not seem to occur at higher acceleration or at higher speeds. I have noticed no slipping. The only abnormal shifting is this occurence where it seems to "labor" to shift up. I was able this weekend to hold the pedal very steady when is was making this labored rumble and it actually seemed to set up a harmonic that slightly shook the car. I quickly ended it as this did not seem like a productive endeavor!

The transmission was serviced at either 45k or 60k, whichever the dealer had recommended.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it does not do it in park or neutral. Almost (but not entirely) exclusive to 1rst thing in the morning and only under "careful" acceleration. It seems to be rumbling when trying to shift to second or third only.

It is smooth as glass during the rest of the day, just like new. Perplexing.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Was your trannny fluid ever replaced, and was the proper MB fluid for the particular type of transmission used?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skylaw:

It was replaced at either 45 or 60k, I don't remember. It was done at the dealership so I assume it was done with correct products, but I don't know for sure.

As I have 110k on it now, I am considering taking it this week to have done again.

I did a bit further "testing" this morning. If I set the transmission to manual it will make the same "rumbling" at about 2.2k in second gear. It is almost like a "shudder". I noticed it today way in the background when car was warm. BTW, it is virtually non-existant if you accelerate agressively.

It may be getting into tough decision time. I have enjoyed this car a great deal over the years and it still looks new with most everything functional (2nd button on rear view mirror will not work regularly) and have done all suggested maintenance. If this comes down to transmission, valve body, torque converter type issues to repair, its going to be difficult decision to repair or trade in on S550.

I have about $60k plus my car to spend on the next one. I bought my existing car with 8k miles on it. I will assure you, I am unlikely to like the s550 $60k better than my S500! If I have to spend $5k or $7k to keep my car functional it gives another couple of years service, it probably is worth it, but it is still difficult to put $5 to $7k in a car that is worth less than $20k.

Anyway thank you for your input.

Jeff

Jeff

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S500 "Rumble" Resolved

Thanks all for the help.

Short Answer: Broken Transmission mount.

As noted earlier, all engine mounts and transmission mounts were replaced a year ago. When I finally brought car to dealership and they discovered the broken mount, it was two weeks past one year. They replaced it gratis anyway. Earned quite a few style points as they put a fair amount of time in inspecting other components as well.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts