Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone i got offered a 722.6 transmission off of a 96 s420 now for the hard part. i need to remove the transmission myself they want $175 for it and it was bone dry no leaks.

now for the question how hard is it to remove? the car is not on a lift but i can use a car jack and stands. they also offered the driveshaft, driveshaft and tranny for $250 it sounds like a great price. they also said engine, tranny driveshaft and differential for $600

so original question how hard would it be to remove it without damaging anything else

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
most of it is pretty easy the only hard part will be the bolt at the top of the bellhousing, you will need either small hands or a strong swivil ratchet.

sent from my HD2 running Android 4.1

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Nhz,

Since this is a 722.6, I would grab the computer transmission module from the other Mercedes too. I read about this other owner that did a swap, and it did not work until he had the transmission original module.

Removing it is not a big deal.

1) I drove the car onto car ramps
2) Raised the car up while on the ramps little by little. I raised it up another foot, and pieces of plywood sheets(I had many laying around) under the ramps.I did not want to use jack stands because I did not want them in the way. I also used bricks and several sheets of plywood to under the jack to raise the car up one more foot. Block-up the rear wheels on both sides with bricks. I purchased a transmission scissor-jack from harbor freight

Transmission Jack - 450 Lb. Capacity

I paid $45 for mine several years ago. Go to the store, and look at their Sale Fliers for 20% discount coupons if you do not find any. I can mail you a couple.

You will need a jack to support and move the engine up and down to help with removing the bolts. The hard section was removing the dip-stick and bolt.

Here is a process for the S320 which should help you

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1368666-transmission-removal-m104_s320.html

This place you got your transmission do they have any for S500 with 722.6? I'll take a non working one too.

FYI, get the vin of the car from the new transmission for reference, so when you need to get a transmission specific part. You are guaranteed a fit..

Martin

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nhz,

Since this is a 722.6, I would grab the computer transmission module from the other Mercedes too. I read about this other owner that did a swap, and it did not work until he had the transmission original module.

Removing it is not a big deal.

1) I drove the car onto car ramps
2) Raised the car up while on the ramps little by little. I raised it up another foot, and pieces of plywood sheets(I had many laying around) under the ramps.I did not want to use jack stands because I did not want them in the way. I also used bricks and several sheets of plywood to under the jack to raise the car up one more foot. Block-up the rear wheels on both sides with bricks. I purchased a transmission scissor-jack from harbor freight

Transmission Jack - 450 Lb. Capacity

I paid $45 for mine several years ago. Go to the store, and look at their Sale Fliers for 20% discount coupons if you do not find any. I can mail you a couple.

You will need a jack to support and move the engine up and down to help with removing the bolts. The hard section was removing the dip-stick and bolt.

Here is a process for the S320 which should help you

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1368666-transmission-removal-m104_s320.html

This place you got your transmission do they have any for S500 with 722.6? I'll take a non working one too.

FYI, get the vin of the car from the new transmission for reference, so when you need to get a transmission specific part. You are guaranteed a fit..

Martin
nope all they have is 96 s420. Its my dad/uncle's friend who owns a junkyard said he would give it to me for $175 if i can remove it, it shifted normal and it didn't slip so $175 sounds reasonable but my car is a 97 s500 they said it uses the same tranny. it shifted like butter no raise in rpms no shudder, quiet the issue with the s420 is the right side was hit badly also the rear window and trunk and roof were damaged. interior was garbage. i will get the vin and the guy can give me a copy of the receipt with VIN and model make and what not

i just have to see if my cousin is free one day so i can have him remove it i am big short guy so it would be hard for me to fit down there lol.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts