Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reversing lights don't operate correctly and only come on intermittently when I jiggle the selector. After a search on this forum, I decided to replace the transmission range switch (S16/10) which incorporates the reversing switch.

I started to remove the floor shifter but couldn't manage to undo the clip that holds the shift lever to the shift rod. I can see it up above the transmission but it seems inaccessible to me. In the end, I put everything back together again.

Afterwards, looking at the MB instruction AR27.60-P-0920B, disassembling and assembling floor shift, it seems to me that the switch could be removed without having to take out the shifter.

Has anyone replaced this switch with the shift mechanism still in the truck?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,836 Posts
You might want to consider disconnecting the shift rod from the trans. or at the adjusting point. This will make it easier to pull up the shifter with the rod and then you can disconnect the clip at the intermediate lever.

Also while you are at it, it would be a good idea to change the bushing at the lever.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the switch today without disconnecting the rod. No real problems and not a difficult job. I removed the air duct to make access a little easier to the side of the changer. The reversing lights now work.

The switch itself contains contacts on the end of pieces of spring steel that close to make the circuit for the reversing light. These are clearly visible in the photo. The rest of the circuit is separate and contains a quadrant switch for the selector positions, the LEDS and associated driver circuitry.

I'll order the new bush as per 43SQD's suggestion. The transmission has to come out to fix the rear main oil seal leak so it will be easy to fit then.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts