Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing some of the recent posts regarding transmissions, I have a few questions about how mine behaves.

‘92 300E M103 with 213,xxx miles and good maintenance history.

I recently had the entire car gone over and all adjustments made which improved the car quite a bit.

-As of now, the car take about a second to shift into reverse.
-Under light loads the car upshifts very smoothly.
-Heavy throttle merging causes upshifts to be prolonged, no flare, just a looong shift into gear.
-On occasion, before being warm, the upshifts are abrupt and heavy.
-All downshifts are precise and quick.

I do not know if this is normal behavior for these cars as I’ve never driven any other 124. It seems fine for the mileage to me however given my automotive history.

If anyone has any input it will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,040 Posts
What is the service history on the transmission and is it still the original factory installed unit???

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the service history on the transmission and is it still the original factory installed unit???
So far as I can tell, it’s original. Maintenance is factory schedule as far as I can see. When I bought the car, the fluid was clean.

I have to drive up to one of the dealers near LA to get some missing history.

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
You've done good having reached that mileage on the original unit.

For maximum life, drain the fluid (pan & torque converter) every 15K mi/25K km with a filter and pan gasket every 30K mi/50K km. And only use Mobil ATF D/M or similar. NO Synthetic transmission fluids whatsoever until a new transmission is installed.

Oil is cheap, engines and transmissions aren't.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
443 Posts
Only thing you can do is check the adjustment of the throttle cable, and if you wanna go farther get a pressure gauge and read up on setting the vacuum modulator. Just keep in mind if that trans has never been rebuilt anything you do to it may end it's life sooner than later.

Also keep in mind they are setup to have a delayed shift when the engine is cold. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by a long shift under heavy acceleration. These cats will typically do up to near 40 in 1st, 70mph in 2nd, and around 100 in 3rdgear. The dots in the speedo will show you have fast it will go (the recommended Max speed) for each gear. If you stand on the gas into the lock down switch and hold it, that's where it will shift, on or close to those dots. But as the transmission has aged characteristics of the shifts and shift point may have changed.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only thing you can do is check the adjustment of the throttle cable, and if you wanna go farther get a pressure gauge and read up on setting the vacuum modulator. Just keep in mind if that trans has never been rebuilt anything you do to it may end it's life sooner than later.

Also keep in mind they are setup to have a delayed shift when the engine is cold. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by a long shift under heavy acceleration. These cats will typically do up to near 40 in 1st, 70mph in 2nd, and around 100 in 3rdgear. The dots in the speedo will show you have fast it will go (the recommended Max speed) for each gear. If you stand on the gas into the lock down switch and hold it, that's where it will shift, on or close to those dots. But as the transmission has aged characteristics of the shifts and shift point may have changed.
Everything was set pretty well and all the points appear right.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the trans. I’m putting out there how it’s behaving given the mileage, and seeing if anything I’m saying sounds like it’s on it’s last leg.

The prolonged shift is weird, under full throttle, the up shifts-at least from 3 to 4-tend to not be a typically timed shift, it’s as if it’s slipping itself into gear ‘gracefully’ so it does not jolt the car.

I’m more than willing to have someone drive the car here is SOCAL to see what I’m talking about.

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
Sounds like you are not accustomed to the way these old transmissions behave.

You'd be better served by posting a video vs. trying to describe it.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you are not accustomed to the way these old transmissions behave.

You'd be better served by posting a video vs. trying to describe it.
This I can do, it won’t be until later today however.

This is the oldest car I’ve owned, so it could be just that. Funny enough I jumped into a rental yesterday and it took me a few tries to get used to the touchy brakes and throttle...not nicely subdued like the Benz.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
443 Posts
If it feels as you describe, which is what I thought you were describing, a long slow shift that could be called sliding into the next gear or slipping...then yeah, id be nice to it. Only thing you could do is give the modulator a turn to increase the pressure, that may help firm the shift a bit. Aside from that I would be nice to it and not touch it. The one thing these transmission do well is a quick shift under heavy Accel or when downshifting, not a harsh shift persay, but not a long lazy shift.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a quick video I grabbed tonight, it’s not the best but I’ll try and get another.

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
Looks normal to me other than a little bounce in the rev counter, which considering the age of the cars is part of the course.

If you really want rev bounce, try a old British anything through the mid 80s

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks normal to me other than a little bounce in the rev counter, which considering the age of the cars is part of the course.

If you really want rev bounce, try a old British anything through the mid 80s
I’m used tot the bounce, I need to find someone to rebuild the dampening in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts