Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1965 W111 220S, 1968 W108 280S, 1970 W108 280SE, 1990 W126 500 SE, 1992 R129 500SL & 1995 E320 S124
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I require some information or at least a pointer to the right thread... My car moves forward perfectyly and changes up and down silky smooth. The hassle starts when you select reverse. The transmission takes what feels like forever to select fully. When selected from D or P, one can hear the transmission engaging, but not fully. On an even surface the car moves back but with no power. Once the car has started moving and the engine revs are lifted slightly, the transmission will engage fully into reverse with a slight jerk. Can anyone tell me if there is something I can set or change to repair this problem, or do I have to exchange the tranny?:confused:

·
Registered
1989 300SEL
13 Posts
A friend of mine is experiencing the exact same problem with her 300 SEL. Any idea on what is causing this to happen?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
two things are possible, one the reverse clutches are shot which Is the weak link in a .3... eventually when this happens the piston will travel So far that it will come out of the guide and you'll have nothing..

the other is a small seal that likes to tear, and when it does so the pressure can't build sufficiently as to engage the clutches properly.

Either of these requires the transmission to be torn down, in which case it simply makes sense to rebuild/replace all the wearable bits.

Jonathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts