Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello My name is Ricky and i am new to this Board. I drive a 1987 Mercedes 300e With 152,000 miles. Now here is my question, Whenever i shift from N-D there is a hard jerk! i hate it, i cant figure out what is causeing it. Its also the same if shifting from R-D. I had the transmission flushed out completly last week and it still does this , Is all the flush helped was to shift a little smoother while in Drive. Also i have noticed that when the car shifts from like 2nd to 3rd i believe it is there is a slight jerk. If anyone can please help me i would appreciate it. i also read to get smoother shift's is to adjust the modulator valve on the transmission, i found it but there is a thing u can turn but i think i am suppost to take the cover off it and i dont know how..PLEASE HELP! thanks everyone...

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
changing from n-d seems to me more of a drivetrain issue than a tranny problem. is the tranny fluid at the right level?

·
Registered
1992 300E
35 Posts
Hi,
I have the exact same problem, I asked the same question not long ago. If you looked in previous pages you'll find it. Basically, there are some rubber parts in the drivetrain, like in the rear axle and also by the transmission. these parts wear out giving some play to the metal parts and that's why you feel that "kick" when you shift to D. A good mechanic would know right away. The hard shift, I thought a transmission oil change will take care of, but it did not happen on yours, I do not know. If somebody know, please help. My car is a '92 300E with 116K.

·
Registered
94 E420
132 Posts
The diff also sits on rubber mounts. Could also be motor or tranny mounts.

FWIW - all of the MB's I drove when hunting for the one I bought shifted much firmer (maybe even hard) then other auto tranny car I have driven. Your car might be doing what it is supposed to do.

Colorado

·
Registered
00 W202, 04 955 S, 08 e90
1,704 Posts
I'm not sure if this is flexi disc issue you can look underneath. jack the left or right side of the car (if you have two jacks) and you can go under and check the front and back discs and see if it any loose or worn out.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]

Yep, most likely the flex disks. They are neoprene rubber which gradually disintegrates over the years. The cracking at the edges is the sign they are toasted.

When you jack up the car, put jackstands under it after you raise it with the jacks. Don't trust the jacks to keep the car up. Lots of shade tree mechanics have been hurt by falling cars when the jacks tip over or by accidentally kicking them.

Let us know what you see under there.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts