Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL320 Roadster
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased 95 SL320 with 59K Miles. Car was not driven very much last 4 years, about 4000 miles. Its in great condition but when the car is first started the transmission seems to slip some especially 3rd gear. I contacted original owner and he said he was aware of it and had it checked out at MB dealership (I have repair order from MB dealership). They said there was no problem it just needed to warm up a little because car was 15 years old. I decided to have transmission fluid and filter changed and have checked on my own and my mechanic did not see any abnormal issues but it still seems to slip when first driving. The more you drive it the better it gets, after a few miles it seems to work fine. Should I be worried about Tranny? This is my first Benz so not sure what to expect other than high costs to repair. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
I dont think the 95 is adaptive is it?
I am somewhat reluctant to give any advice because I still know very little on these trans even though Ive worked on them some. My first thought was junk in the valve body or a bad governor but if it were mine I would just let those go because those are things that would about be worth having the trans rebuilt or replaced anyway. I would still try little stuff like changing the fluid, filter, moving the shift hardness adjuster and checking the 2 vacuum units , assuming those are the same as on a 722.3 like I have.

There is also discussion of replacing a certain spring in the valve body that I think may cause symptoms such as you describe. There is alot of info on this kind of stuff and your symptoms in this forum and elsewhere.

·
Registered
1995 SL320 Roadster
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks very much I will give it a shot anyway. Let you know what happens.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Check the white vacuum modulator knob on the driver's side of the transmission. If it's pointed towards the rear of the car turn it clockwise to point towards the front of the car. This is the firmer shifts, less likely to slip position. It only has about a 90 degree range of movement. Engines with less than eight cylinders didn't get the 722.6 transmission until 1997 model year, at least in the U.S.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Thanks very much I will give it a shot anyway. Let you know what happens.
X3hendme hi and welcome in our big and international friendly family:). Please update your profile with your car, year and location to help us help you in the best and quickest possible way. For us it’s extremely important you do this.

Please get familiar with the Advanced Search feature of the forum as it might be of help finding all the info related to your problem.

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts