Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 83 Turbodiesel for 8 months now with 89,000 miles and I really enjoy driving it. I really like the w123 body. The car sometimes makes a banging noise that seems to come from the rear when I brake to slow down and it downshifts from 4-3 gear. I also started getting minor vibrations above 40 mph. The vibrations are present even when the car rolls in Neutral at that speed. I had the transmission rebuild not in an MB shop and the banging(clanking sound) problem and vibrations still exists but not as much. Could this be a vacum issue adjustment and not the trans or maybe a transaxle/shaft problem? I took the car to a local MB dealer and recommended rebuild trans by them($2,000) or replace it with a refurbished one from the factory($3,000). Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I really do not want to sell the car since it has no rust and no other problems. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No offense intended to anyone/shop:<p>Have you considered going to a local independent M-B shop? For cars of this age, my experience has been that the dealers aren't always the best to know what needs help.<p>Given your symptoms, I'd look to the drivetrain, including the flex discs. I suspect a reputable independent M-B shop with many years of experience will be able to give you some good advice on the problem(s) and solution(s).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an '85 300D with a similar problem: a hard, clunking downshift at slow speeds. For days I won't experience the clunking, then its back, particularly on cold days. Any ideas?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: I have just purchased an 82 300D which exibits the same characteristics, when you figure it out please let me know what it is. You can e-mail me at [email protected]<p>Thank you in advance<br>Rick<br>

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I own an 83 Turbodiesel for 8 months now with 89,000 miles and I really enjoy driving it. I really like the w123 body. The car sometimes makes a banging noise that seems to come from the rear when I brake to slow down and it downshifts from 4-3 gear. I also started getting minor vibrations above 40 mph. The vibrations are present even when the car rolls in Neutral at that speed. I had the transmission rebuild not in an MB shop and the banging(clanking sound) problem and vibrations still exists but not as much. Could this be a vacum issue adjustment and not the trans or maybe a transaxle/shaft problem? I took the car to a local MB dealer and recommended rebuild trans by them($2,000) or replace it with a refurbished one from the factory($3,000). Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I really do not want to sell the car since it has no rust and no other problems. Thank you in advance.
I have a similar problem (vibration). I've been told to check the rubber couplings in the driveshaft and the flywheel damper where it connects to the gear box.

·
Registered
220D
12 Posts
Re: Re: Transmission Problems?

I have a similar problem (vibration). I've been told to check the rubber couplings in the driveshaft and the flywheel damper where it connects to the gear box.
*nod* -- on something like this one thing to check is the bushings throughout the driveline. $20 in bushings can save you a $2200 tranny rebuild which still won't fix the problem (as witnessed in an acquaintance's 1978 Lincoln.)

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Transmission Problems?

*nod* -- on something like this one thing to check is the bushings throughout the driveline. $20 in bushings can save you a $2200 tranny rebuild which still won't fix the problem (as witnessed in an acquaintance's 1978 Lincoln.)
Thanks for the additional suggestion. I wouldn't doubt that the bushings would need attention in a car with mileage like mine (212,500 and steadily increasing). It's all a matter of a having a little extra time during the weekend to jack the car up and put it jack stands to inspect everything.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300d
20 Posts
Hey guyz. Check the driveline bearing rubber thingy. Mine made a thumping noise at certain...

Hey guyz. Check the driveline bearing rubber thingy. Mine made a thumping noise at certain RPM's. Right where the U joints (not Rubber discs) are there is a bearing pressed in surrounded by rubber. Repalace it and no more thumping.

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
How do you check the Flex Discs?

Looking at purchasing a 300TD with 230k. Car "bangs" real bad from rear area under acceleration (during 2-3 upshift?) and then under deceleration I believe during the 3-2 downshift.
How do I check the flex discs or anything else that might cause this? How do I make sure its not the tranny?
Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.