Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,102 Posts
The transmission serial number is located on the passenger side of the transmission on the rail right above the transmission pan. The differential serial number should be on the back cover in the middle or on the side of the differential on the upper half. I'm not sure if it would be the passenger or driver side though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
UPDATE! 10-27-2019
To everyone who helped me with advice on fixing my car I would like to say Thank you. Mrboca, you are a sensational Wealth of knowledge. I wish one day to meet u and learn from you about my favorite car maker. You, sir, are the winner of this challenge.
Yesterday, around 10:30pm, I looked at the salvage yard webpage to see what their Mercedes inventory was, anything new show up. The top of the list showed a 2000 E320 sedan. I remembered that car because last week when I was there I saw it across the fence and asked someone who worked there what was up with that car. He said it’s going on the yard. So when I saw it online and it showed to be a 2000 E320 I knew I had to go check it out. This morning I got my tools ready and took off. I had two other jobs before I could get to the junk so I hurried.
I finally arrived at the salvage yard at 415p and run inside (they close at 5p). I get to the car and look under the hood. What do I see?????? The TCU module and the part number has “EGS51”. I quickly released it from its prison and put it in my bag. I picked a few more things from the car and by then it was closing time and I was ready to leave. Paid only $8 ($6 and change plus tax).

I get home clean it with electrical spray and pop it in. I start my car,put it in reverse. I swear it never felt so smooth. Slid into drive and went for a test ride. Shifted every time. Almost felt like Aladdin on his magic carpet floating down the street!

So in conclusion, it was the TCU. I guess the two other ones I had were also bad. Maybe that’s why the other one ended up at the junk too. codes are clear too.
Thank you all for your time and for helping. Mrboca, whenever you’re around Austin, hit me up. I owe you a drink at least.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am saddened to say that the car is doing it again: it slips out of gear into neutral. It feels like a manual transmission when u do the same thing. Then all the sudden when RPMs come down it slams into gear, tires screaching, as if I had “popped” the clutch. Then I accelerate and it takes off. This slipping in and out of gear happens between 2nd and 3rd mostly.
Here we go again....... mrboca, help please

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,757 Posts
Please read the codes, again. When you get a used TCU which has no recorded codes in it, things will work fine for a while. Until the TCU detects the problems... The opposite can be true too. If you install a TCU with certain un-erased codes to work with a good transmission, the car may get into the electrical limp mode till the codes are cleared at the TCU.

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Well, remember one of your past codes:

P0758, which is 2-3 shift solenoid valve electrical issue. You may have an intermittent issue (still).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yesterday with my scanner it kept coming up p0700. I checked “pending codes” and p1542 popped up. So I changed the sensor with the donor car and the P1542 didn’t return but still had p0700. I have an appointment with the same people who originally scanned the car and gave me those transmission codes to rescan and clear. Let’s see what they say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok so i go in for the scanning and the shop is closed. They knew i was coming and i guess left or locked the door and hid inside. I know these guys dont like me coming by. When the owner talks to me its As if hes the bully from High School and im the nerd he picks on daily. That doesnt bother me. He doesnt mean shit to me just his employees 38 pin connector does.

anyway, i decided to go ahead and buy a Foxwell. Got me the Foxwell NT6X4 Elite Series Professional Scanner off of Amazon $200. Same day shipping. It does not want to communicate with my car. Neither port. Also when i register it, it says my serial number doesnt exist.
You could guess my fruatrations at this point. I finally got some codes
C0300
P0301
P0730
P0715<—-Stored code

Will this car ever be ok to drive more than a few feet? Im at a loss and in total dispair with this. How can i be as good with Mercedes as I claim if i sell the car and not fix it? I think thatll haunt me for a while. Staring at it in my yard makes me sad because i believe it deserves to be alive again.
Any more advice?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,886 Posts
I have MaxiEcu with its $10 adapter for 38 pins and it did work on lifted W210 just fine. Since then MaxiEcu start making special W210 package who you can find on US ebay. The price went up, but than you are getting legal MB software with live data and adaptations.

·
Registered
2000 E430
46 Posts
Ok so i go in for the scanning and the shop is closed. They knew i was coming and i guess left or locked the door and hid inside. I know these guys dont like me coming by. When the owner talks to me its As if hes the bully from High School and im the nerd he picks on daily. That doesnt bother me. He doesnt mean shit to me just his employees 38 pin connector does.

anyway, i decided to go ahead and buy a Foxwell. Got me the Foxwell NT6X4 Elite Series Professional Scanner off of Amazon $200. Same day shipping. It does not want to communicate with my car. Neither port. Also when i register it, it says my serial number doesnt exist.
You could guess my fruatrations at this point. I finally got some codes
C0300
P0301
P0730
P0715<—-Stored code

Will this car ever be ok to drive more than a few feet? Im at a loss and in total dispair with this. How can i be as good with Mercedes as I claim if i sell the car and not fix it? I think thatll haunt me for a while. Staring at it in my yard makes me sad because i believe it deserves to be alive again.
Any more advice?
Return it and get this one

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
There is no such C0300 code. For Benz, C codes start with C1XXX. It could be P0300 since you have P0301. I second Loden's suggestion.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts