Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’ve read and re-read and then I read again, just for the “F” of it, all the posts and discussion about the 722.9 slipping into neutral. Mine is doing the same thing.

I have installed new conductor plates (3 times), swapped valve bodies (3 times), drained and changed the filter and fluid (5 times)—-actually ate some by accident, horrible btw——, changed out all the silonoids from 1 to all 6 (3 times), swapped TCUs out with the EGS51 and EGS52(6 times—-bought 6 from the local pull-a-part) oh and EGS51 works EGS52 renders my car unstartable, new plug and adapter with o-Rings (1 time) and have seemed to trash my yard and shop with empty transmission fluid bottle:

This is absolutely frustrating. And what’s more frustrating is the fact that turning for help here in these forums is No help at all. Everyone is suggesting things or talking about their car on someone else’s post hoping to piggyback on the original posters post. And THEN after all this talk about everyone’s problem, the original poster doesn’t even say if it worked or not. Just leaves everything hanging. And none of the posts are recent—-everything 10 years or more old.

so please can someone who has actually has this problem give me some advice on what do do based on what you did that seemed to work for your car?

this is my only car right now and I desperately need it to work

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,767 Posts
Hello :).

Please update your profile with your car's model, and model year and mileage. Thanks.

Do you have a scanner that can read codes from the EGS ?
Do you have any pending / current codes ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I updated my profile but I’ll mention it here too. It’s a 2000 E320 sedan (non 4matic) with 182,000 miles.

I have a scanner but also went to a shop that had a 38_pin adapter to read the transmission codes. This is what he saw:

14–Speed Comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 is implausible
110-Speed comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 sporadically implausible
147–The gear is sporadically implausible or transmission slips

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,264 Posts
2000 is a weird transitional changeover period, this model uses EGS1 but still compatible with tiptronic shifter. EGS2 no start but EGS1 starts shows that the car is still prefacelift.

Limp mode because the speed sensors do not agree with each other. Chances are you have an actual transmission issue if you've been through 3 conductor plates and still have same issues.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,766 Posts
I updated my profile but I’ll mention it here too. It’s a 2000 E320 sedan (non 4matic) with 182,000 miles.

I have a scanner but also went to a shop that had a 38_pin adapter to read the transmission codes. This is what he saw:

14–Speed Comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 is implausible
110-Speed comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 sporadically implausible
147–The gear is sporadically implausible or transmission slips
You need to look at adaptation values with scanner. That transmission may be done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The previous owner of this car said that this car was in his family for 17 years which means they bought it fairly new (2002–estimated guess). He also informed me that this transmission is the second transmission for the car. So two transmissions in its life so far. Is it possible that these transmissions are trash and not “one of the best transmissions ever built”? How can one car eat up transmissions? And if I do replace the whole transmission (have one already here in my donor car 1999 E320 wagon) who’s to say that’s the cure to my problems?
I didn’t mention that when the problem occurs I hear like some electrical noise or what I assume is electrical noise. Almost like feedback through the speakers or static. As I rev the engine to move forward the sound goes to a higher pitch also.
One more thing is that the TCU that came out My car is the EGS51 but my 1999 E320 wagon donor car has one that says EGS52. Swapped and my car won’t start.

Ok ready, set, go..........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Previous owner also stated he took the car to the transmission shop and they couldn’t find anything wrong with the actual transmission. But then again they court be wrong too

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Is the gear shifter PRND4321 or PRND+/-?

It is funny that the 1999 E320 wagon has EGS52, and touchmatic shifter, and the 2000 E320 sedan has EGS51 :).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it has the +\-. And After reading the posts from previous members and which module goes in which car I thought maybe I had scewed it up but I know i didn’t. That’s why it’s so frustrating to me. This should work already. I don’t have the credit to buy another one off the lot nor do I want to have the payments. I’m just apprehensive about doing a complete swap and it not working

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
I believe you got confused. The EGS51 is for 1996 to 1999. EGS52 is for 2000+.

So, if you take an EGS51 from the 1999 car, and install it in a 2000, the car will not start because the EGS51 will read 0000 on the TRSS lines (the gear selector information showing which gear is selected. The 0000 combination is invalid, and the engine will not start as it cannot be determined that the the gear shifter is in Park or Neutral.

So stick to the EGS that came with the car. In any case, the problem seems to be mechanical rather than the EGS issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I promise you that the one that came out of my car, the 2000 E320, is a EGS51. I know this because it looks slightly different that the others. I recognized that as soon as I looked at it. I didn’t know the numbers were different until reading over everyone’s posts about this problem. I know that Mercedes-Benz could use the same part into similar cars or same year same model and make cars have similar price but I also know that they have different parts numbers. So not just any part goes into any car. after I had bought the other five or six tcus, Install them and remove them there were some that started the car and Some that didn’t.
I saw the 51 and 52 numbers on the labels and then reference the one that originally came out of my car and saw that I had one other that had a 51 And four had. My car had only started one other time which meant that it had to be when the corresponding tcu with the 51 was installed. Minutes prior to leaving to the salvage yard I removed and installed the one from my 99 wagon and the car didn’t start. That was my solution. Run to theyard and get as many as possible because one had to work. I was kinda right.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,264 Posts
No, I believe him that the original TCM is EGS1. I've seen it in person, and like I said, 2000 is a weird changeover period.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i just realized i forgot to tell you guys that i got the car to work twice but then it wemt right back to the neutral feeling and itz in limp mode now.
Firat time after replacing conductor plates and fluid and liat goes on, i decided to find someone with the 38-pin plug for the transmision codes. One shop here in town had it and charged me $50 to read and erase them. Boy let me tellyou, it felt like i had defeated the kracken. I drove off amd it shifted beautifully. Drove to my job and to a friends house. On my way to meet up with another friend, upon exiting the highway, the car went into the neutral mode again. Several failed attempts to get it going, i had someone pick me up and take me home (26 miles one way). Well i said let me take it back to that shop. Rescanned it and erased codes. Made it out the garage bay door and boom neutral again. Shop owner towed me home for $95. Then i start taking it apart amd install a beautiful gently used conductor plate, 6 new solenoids, clean up the valve body extremely well and reinstalled all of it. Around midnight when i finished puttimg fluid, went on a test drive.it shifted! Kinda like it didnt know what was happening nut it was shifting. The next day, again feeling like the victor, drove around town all day. Jobs, shopping, errands then BOOM neutral mode.
Now its at my house again thanks to another tow service.
Here i go again .......

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
When did you buy the car ?
I assume when you bought it, the transmission was fine and the car shifted just fine. For how long ?
If the transmission was fine, and then failed after a while, what was the issue ? Went to mechanical limp mode (drive and reverse but locks to a single gear like 2 or 3 but recovers after the turning the ignition off and on) ? Electrical limp mode (as mechanical one but but does not recover with ignition) ? or the transmission started slipping and go into neutral as you described above ?

After the original transmission issue that caused you to change the conductor plate, did you obtain any codes from the TCU ? or ECU (P07xx code). If so, what were they?

I am just trying to figure out why the replaced (second) transmission failed in the first place.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the car two weeks ago. The guy said it had been sitting for months. It was already doing what it’s doing so he parked it in his apartment parking lot.i bought it thinking I’ll fix it since I had the 99 wagon here as a donor. Well after the first week of doing all that work to it I said screw it i need it scanned. Hence the trip to the mechanic shop to hat had the 38-pin scanner. Prior to doing the work, it was in electric limp. After it went into mechanical. Then the scan and erase and it was driving. Then well you know the rest. Before it goes mechanical it’s electrical. And I hear a whining sound as it’s in electrical. Like speaker feedback.
yesterday when doing research on the codes I read about the oil leaking thru the plug. Last night i checked and it’s bone dry.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
I would never buy a car with a transmission problem without scanning the TCU with a proper scanner that would show the detailed codes of what is going on.
Electrical limp problems (with specific codes) amount to conductor plate, TCU/adapter plug contamination, harness issues, or TCU issues. Mechanical limp ones can be more difficult to fix, or it could be as simple as incorrect ATF level, or ATF filter mounting issues (making sure that an OEM filter is used, old o ring is removed, and the filter is properly attached).

Unfortunately you do not have a scanner that can do the reading and clearing the codes, and looking at the status of various elements on the conductor plate (solenoids, rpm sensor etc.). That is why you are in the "trial and error mode".

Also, there is some misinformation that the transmission may go into electrical limp mode from mechanical mode, if the electrical issues come up later on, but if in electrical limp mode, it will not go into mechanical limp mode. It will stay there till the problem is fixed and the codes are cleared.

From the codes, I do not see any electrical faults, and the whining cannot be electrical, as there is no electrical device (motor, pump) to whine. If you have howling , whistling noises at high rpms (above 4000), the chances are the oil pump is dry due to ATF circulation issues (loose / clogged filter, pump issues).

The codes you have 14, and 110 refer to differences in rpm readings between two rpm sensors (N2, and N3) in gears 2, 3, and 4. They should be the same. Obviously they are not and hence you get the error codes. One possible reason is that one or both of the impulse rings rotating over the sensors is loose, so the senor is giving a bad reading. Once this is detected, you get the loss of drive condition and slip into neutral. This would be apparent when you connect the scanner to monitor n2 and n3 when the car is in 2nd gear.

I think at this point, a bit of reading will not hurt :).
https://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/cd1/2_3/m13.jsp

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you. Also, I appreciate the condensending tone as how you wouldn’t buy a car with a bad transmission. I don’t come here so I can feel stupid or less of a enthusiast or technician than I already am. I appreciate everything you’ve said and I am grateful. I’ll read the tutorial you’ve sent and I hope to be out of this mess soon. Also, as in my original post I’ll post what the outcome is with this car whether it be selling the car, changing the transmission, or it blowing up in my face. I came here to learn and that’s just whAt happened even though it wasn’t only something about my Mercedes.
Again, thank you.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts