Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first car (a 1984 Mercedes 190) and I am a little worried about the trans. The car has 80k miles and whenever i switch gears it gives a great kick. I believe it might just be because of the car needs a tune up, it is running at high RPMs but it could be the trans failing..anyone have any ideas/reccomendations on what to do?

· Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
119 Posts
heres my suggestions from experience

what do u mean by a kick? a lerch? is there a clunk?

My 190e has done 144k Km's about 60k miles i think, and I experienced it lerching and clunking when put into gear.

You say the cars idleing to fast? Have a look at the idle control valve, its under the air cleaner and at the back of the engine bay, it has a little black wheel on the back of it. Screwing in this wheel will slow the idle...Also you could try taking out this valve and giveing it a clean with kerosine or something simular if you cant get a decent idle. As a rule of thumb when started stone cold your car should idle at about 1200 rpm, and 750 hot and out of gear, in gear about 600 any time. I had idle problems, and the idle control valve was the culprit. It just sounds like its idleing to fast thats all.

If adjusting the idle doesnt fix this have a look at your flex disks / drive shaft couplings for play, as well as play in ur diff. Generally clunking or a kick isnt the transmissions fault.

As a last result the power bands in ur gear box might need adjusting or it might need a service.

When driving does you transmission shift between gears smoothly?

cheers dont hesitate to ask for more help....

josh

ps. im a newbie so any one else out there who wants to teach me a few things just go on ahead
[:D]

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The car seems to shift smoothly when driving its just when sittin...

Thanks for the input. The car seems to shift smoothly when driving its just when sitting it kind of kicks and lurches but the guy that owned the car said it just needed to be tuned up a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.