Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML500 Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have simiar issue with the tranny not shifting from 1st gear every 3-4th start. So, after researching this forum, I changed out the 13-pin connector (a little oil was in it), the problem came back after a week. Then last week, while the truck was stuck in 1st, the MIL light came on with code P0836.

I have seached everywhere for potential problem/fixes but very little info exist on P0836. The MIL light went out the next day (while the tranny was shifting fine) but because the tranny still occasionally sticks in 1st, I ordered the conductor plate and replaced it Sunday. The transmission shifted smoothly and the test drive was fine.

Monday morning, first start..the truck jerked again and stuck in first gear. I restarted and everthing is fine.

Question: I've read all the threads about resetting the TCM, which I have NOT done. Some members here said that the problem went away without resetting and some said it is required. To me, if the stored code (P0715) will cause problem, then the truck should ALWAYS stay in 1st. What's the view here?

Second question is, does this have to do with code P0836 (4 Wheel Drive Switch Circuit Malfunction)? What is the fix for code P0836?

I'm trying hard to keep the truck, so thanks for any help offered.
Pete

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Peter, first of all code P0836 is not a valid MB 163 code. You are probably using a code reader which is very generic in use.

With that said, if the code was valid why did you perform a transmission repair if the code referred to a 4 wheel drive circuit?

Regardless of what you read, after a transmission code is set, you must clear the codes both in the Eng. Control Module and the Elec. Trans. Control Module.

In answer to your question, there are two types of codes, hard ones and intermittent ones (see pdf). Obviously the intermittent ones will behave badly when they so desire, as what is happening to you.

You must have your truck scanned using a professional grade/dedicated scanner so you can narrow things down. Look at the code list and note that many codes do not have P0xxx (ECM codes)attached to them, meaning that they are MB manufacturer codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML500 Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
43sqd, thank you for your response.

Good question on the logic for replacing the 13 pin connector and the conductor plate. The shifting problem happened a month before I got the MIL with P0836 code (as with some novice, went to Autozone and got the code). So I already bought the parts and since I read that both items will eventually fail (I have 125k mi) and I wanted to change the transmission oil, I decided to go ahead with the replace the parts.

I will go to the an Indy and have them scan and if they turn out to be P0715, then erase it.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Remember that he has to clear the code/s in the ECM and then the has to clear the codes in the ETC. Two separate and different procedures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts