Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I live in Argentina, sorry for my bad english. My 1998 320ML went on Limp home mode after a service at dealer, they only changed transmission and engine oil and filters, and the famous o-ring at the transmission connector because of a leak, and tried to solve two problems: when placing gear lever from N to R the back light turned on and immediattely off, and low range was not working; but they couldn´t solve either of these problems. After draining and filling again the transmission fluid and looking after the fluid level that was ok, it kept in limp home mode, after several tries now it won´t work even in limp home mode: doesn´t engage reverse or 2nd gear any more. The mechanic says the previous transmission fluid was too old (this ML has 142000km) so the new fluid cleaned something out of the transmission and I have to replace it!!! They weren´t able to read the codes in the computer. I think they did something wrong and there is an electrical problem but I would like myself to read about it in a repair manual if anyone can help me to download it from the net. Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
I would think that you are going to have a problem with the dealer, convincing them that they are at fault.

You should print this out and suggest to them that they possibly did not follow there own CAUTION in the bulletin. Look at the Note under paragraph #1.

Or you can try that they did not install the 13 pin connector correctly (pictured in the bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After one month checking electrical problems they decided to change the complete 2 gallons of transmission oil and now it works perfectly well. So only paid the oil, they have ben really honest with me though I couldn´t use my ML for that time. It´s really courious that computer didn´t give us any alarm of low oil pressure.

Thanks for your answer, 43sqd.
This transmission is one of the few in which you have the possibility of leaking the torq converter oil(I don´t know if this is correct in english).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just oil

Exactly, not only it works but it also changes gears perfectly well, no emergency mode, maybe it wasn`t the limp home mode what didn`t let de trans engage other gears than reverse and 2nd, it was just the oil low pressure. But we will never get to know this for sure unless it gives me new problems because apart from changing oil again they had unplugged the 13 pin, the trans module and the selector so maybe there had been an electrical malfunction that was solved just by unplugging and plugging these things.
i`ve driven 600 miles and everything continues OK. what I can tell for sure is that alarms in this vehicle computer are really a new problem rather than help, even in the official MB dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts