Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... in the interest of complete disclosure, I will admit to a dumb mistake... I towed my 1980 240D (250K miles) about 60 miles. I know this is a bad thing, but let's just call it a case of late night brain fog and leave it at that.

I towed the car because of a radiator failure while driving at 65 down an interstate. After the tow and repairing the radiator, I cranked up the car and drove the last 300 miles home. Absolutely no problems (plus or minus VERY minor hiccups... perhaps indicators of things to come?)

The car drove for another 50 miles intown, then almost instantly starts belching tranny fluid out the rear seal. It is coming out almost as fast as you can pour it into that damn little fill hole. After a period of self-flaggelation and teeth gnashing, I bit the bullet and dropped the drive shaft and pounded in (carefully) a new seal. I am really thinking I have the problem licked when I go for that first ride, but n-o-o-o-o, it starts dripping again like the seal was almost not there.

I talk to my local MB expert and he says he is puzzled. I call the folks who posted the Vacuum Adjustment site and seem most knowledgeable about these German gearboxes, and they say they have never heard of a problem like this. The only suggestion was to remove the dipstick and ride around with the tranny vented. This seems to work for a ride around the block, but I pull in my drive and peek under the car and there comes the red river again.

I have searched the forums and found no reference to anyone having a problem like this. Help me if you know someone with a similar problem who might have a solution short of swapping out trannies. This old girl has many miles left in her and I am not giving up on her now. Many thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
as you mentioned the vent, most auto transmissions have a vent maybe in all you madness it got pinched?
I'd check that out first.
Or possibly one of the valves got clogged from towing it and it pumping the fluid backwards through the trans, so maybe getting on of those transmission flushes?

Just some ideas, good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts