Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C 280 Sport
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a freak accident if you would call it, one of the screws on my 99 C280 transmission pan just got loose when I pulled it out it had some thread on it, now I can't put it back because it won't hold, tranny oil is leaking tried to put a longer thread but I think has loose thread already. How hard is it to re- thread with a much bigger size a 8mm do I need to pull the pan and drain the oil.

Thanks in advance
Happy Motoring

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Those screws have a small torque setting so that's in your favour as well as the fat rubber gasket.

I would think it was do-able without pulling the pan but would check the depth of the hole (blind end?) for that particular screw.

Make sure the new screw is short enough not to bind if going into a blind end and use loctite blue to prevent it happening again

Good luck

Oberoi

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
prolly better off getting a helicoil kit for the screw. Basically you bore out the hole slightly larger with a drill bit (should all come in a kit), then re-tap the hole to accept the outside of the helicoil. Then the inside of the helicoil will accept the same bolt size as the original transmission bolt. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you don't know what you are doing as you will screw up an already bad situation. That being said, it's pretty easy if you know what the risks are, I've done them all the time on my old Nissan turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts