Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55 1998 E430
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My indie said I should replace the transmission oil in my new transmission after only 1K miles to ensure longevity. Dealer says 20K - 30K.

It could not hurt but is this a wast of money? To change oil $100, to change filter and oil $350...

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Yes get it replaced but, when is the real question. When I got transmission contaminated I believe I changed my transmission fluid too soon around 1k. That said you, I'd say 5k - 10k unless you have any transmission issues i.e. slipping, leaking, or burning. Also consider your transmission warranty the mechanic can say something like you didn't do what I said so your responsible for any damages warranty VOID.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,261 Posts
I think their idea was to drain any metal shaving when new parts worked together in the new transmission. If they had put in some magnets in the pan with the new transmission, you would not need to change the fluid that early.
DIY, it's ~$60-$70 out of your pocket to drop the pan, magnets, new gasket, filter, 4L-5L of fluid.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,842 Posts
The steel shavings in those transmissions are collected by magnet on speed sensor, so drainage is not going to remove them.
The $100 quote sounds fishy. I would believe they plan to pull the plug, drain 2 liters and replace 2 liters, while leaving all the dirt on the bottom of the pan, since the drainage plug is several mm higher.
Since 98 has converter plug, I would consider draining all fluid, wipe off the pan and refill with new fluid as the only service that makes sense.
Replacing conductor plate lately I noticed lot of dirt on top of valve body, so pulling it down would be on my list as well, but good luck finding the shop who will do it for reasonable price. That adds about 1/2 hr to the job.
The old school was to change the oil after 1000, but new generation machinery don't require that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts