·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's!
We gonna have another foot of snow down here this weekend.:(
So i think it will be the perfect time to say inside and play with my favorite
toy! :)
I would like to change my trans. oil and filter... I know that we need to drain old fluid from the pan but also from the TORQUE CONVERTER.

Anybody can tell me where is the exact location of the torque converter?
Do i need a special tool to drain it?
Something i sould know about this specific job?
Thank's to all !!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The converter is located between the back of the motor and the transmission, Its bolted to the Flywheel and rotates with the motor. I know that some of these cars have a drain-plug and some don't, If you don't have a plug, I would do one of two things, Have the trans POWER FLUSHED or just change the fluid in the pan,drive it for 5-10K and do it again!! If it were mine I would do the latter, {I have heard HORROR STORIES about power flushing} Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok drag1998,
I will switch to amsoil syntec ATF so i think that you have the best way to go. i will flushing twice and make a few K in between.
I located the torque converter but can't find any drain plug there.
What is a "Power flush" ??

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
They hitch up a pump to the cooling lines and run the car and this will pump out the OLD oil and pump in NEW oil. The RUB{if you will} is they don't change the filter???? I have heard{from more than 1 person} that transmission problems showed up shortly after having a tranny flushed!!! I would STILL do the filter and oil in the pan deal vs. the FLUSH!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
They hitch up a pump to the cooling lines and run the car and this will pump out the OLD oil and pump in NEW oil. The RUB{if you will} is they don't change the filter???? I have heard{from more than 1 person} that transmission problems showed up shortly after having a tranny flushed!!! I would STILL do the filter and oil in the pan deal vs. the FLUSH!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
I was quoted a whopping $290 for a transmission service from a dealer (Leith Mercedes, in Raleigh NC). So I ask them is that a complete flush or do they just remove the fluid from the pan, I was told just the pan and of course the filter and gasket. The service manager told me they DO NOT reccomend flushing the system nor do they perform a flush. I am sure Mercedes-Benz has theirt reasons. So I contacted a reputible local MB / BMW indy (Rennaisance Auto, Cary, NC) and neither do they reccomend a transmission flush. at least they give you a better quote, $160.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts