Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W124
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have an Mercedes w124 300D running fine till yesterday...... Last night its automatic transmission does not work properly....... I was at 80 kphs running fine at highway when slow down the car.....
The transmission doesn't enage again....
Its doesn't shift from the 1st gear...... Full gas pedal doesn't work car not move one inch
After lost struggle car enage into 1st gear..... Slowly around 10 km approximately...... At end stop my car to check the gear oil..... Its slow double the mark of dipstick its show over double the gear oil...

After 10mintutes cooling of engine when i start the car its enage the all gear shift at 40 kphs speed..... After show much struggle i reach the home....
In morning when i start car tranny doesn't engage again

Can you tell where is the problem.....
Probably the friction disk or oil pump worn out......
Kindly give your expert opinion

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,535 Posts
How many km's and service history on the transmission?

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,279 Posts
I'm not sure what "to check the gear oil..... Its slow double the mark of dipstick its show over double the gear oil..."

means, but you always check automatic transmission fluid with the system fully warmed up, and engine running at idle.

in the USA all W124 automatics were the basic 4-speed, without a 'sport/eco' switch, but in the world market there were alternative automatics.

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
First thing to check is that the filter has not suffered a separated element. This is a common problem even with Mercedes filters. The element gets sucked into the fluid path and blocks fluid flow to the pump and throttle body. Once the engine is shut off, the element slowly settles back down into the filter and the transmission works again.

Change the filter and fluid before you do anything more expensive to your transmission.

·
Registered
W124
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many km's and service history on the transmission?
Dear sir,
Its 256000 kms and serviced done at last November car run only 5000km only after service
Now the current problem engagment of gear issue......
Is their is issue with friction disk clutch or brake pad of the transmission

Previous gear oil level is normal after the issues generate with tranny the oil level double the marking of oil level any issue with oil pump

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,535 Posts
At 256k km your transmission is end of life and in need of a complete rebuild.

As suggested, try a filter and fluid swap but if no change don't bother pumping into a trans that is simply worn out.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,279 Posts
You might get 300kkm / 200K miles out of the original transmission if it has been babied since new.

·
Registered
W124
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello

The master rebuild kit for the Mercedes transmission 722.3 and 722.4 is same for both the transmission or different in both the transmission.....
Kindly let me know
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
Just dial up Sun Valley Transmissions and let them worry about which parts go into which transmission. Order up a nice rebuilt unit and be done with it.

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
274 Posts
Forum members did give u many good advice, but I think if you have basic skills to open the AT pan...you might consider to give your valve body a thorough cleanup....
But this is done/and workable if your AT didn't suffer major mechanical failures, like broken clutch bands or disc failures.

There are many small items/springs/plastic dampers/valves inside the valve body...
But all you need is a little bit patience cleaning and digging all the pieces out...and laying around in an orderly fashion, and putting all these back at the end.

If you didn't know ur AT service history...it's time to seriously consider a rebuilt one, cause its really "times up."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts