Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430----1995 E300 DIESEL
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 ML430-With 213K on it has this problem. The trans will not drop down in range when I move the shifter to the side, about the same time this started we began hearing something like a bearing or maybe for a lack of a better description a whirling noise. Not realy loud but more pronounced around 40 mph. I have put the front end on stands and jacked the rear, ran it with the P brake on and the noise seems to come from the transfer case. Even with the ABS disabled and/or in low range???? Could the not shifting (no blown fuses) be related to the noise or are they two separate issues?
Thanks again for membership to the BenzWorld! Mark

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome on this forum.
I bought my ML with bad transmission, it was only 130K miles on it, hardly made it up on the trailer on its own and into my garage at home. When I removed the pan, I found the fluid contaminated with aluminum shavings and few rollers that came out of some type of needle bearing. I would drain both, tranny and transfer case to see, if fluid will give you any clue on what unit may be going bad. If this fluid was recently replaced and it is clean, you can refill them back with it. My transfer case was fine but I replaced both since I got it as set still bolted together. I never opened the tranny to see, what bearing went bad in it. Good luck,
Bernard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dumb me (partly anyway)

Thanks Bernard,READY FOR A GOOD LAUGH? Well I went home and pulled the entire console apart to check for bad wireing etc on the shifter (my wife drives this most of the time excuse, excuse) anyway found no problems so I figured I would take it for a test drive and see if it would work if I moved the wireing around as I drove, on my way out of my driveway I thought maybe I should read the owners manual to see if I was missing anything. Come to find out you have to move it to the left to shift down and right to shift up. The whole time I thought it would not work I was moving it to the right (wrong way) smack my self in the head, it works correctly after all.
Now for the noise, having isolated the front and rear drive shafts my tranfer case still makes the noise. I changed the oil and it looks good, put new in and no change. I guess the next step is to drop the drive shafts and see if the noise continues. I sure was hoping the noise was related to the shift problem which was realy a me problem oh well if it still makes the noise i guess the next step will be to drop the trans case and open it up.
sorry for the long message. Will get back on what I find. At least my trany is ok, knock on wood (my head) Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noisy transfer case

:eek:Thanks, The service manager at my local Benz dealership suggested the support bearing but having locked the rear with the parking brake and the turning only the front and vice versa with the front the noise is still there. Plan to drop both shafts this weekend and see. Noise still there out comes the trans case.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Yes, I was going to suggest that, when you get under the truck, try to shake rear driveshaft right by the center support for movement or grease the bearing (it is open from the back side and probably dry) to see, if the noise will go away or at least reduction in it. Greasing it won't hurt even if it's still good and there was just tread going about replacing it few days ago.
Bernard

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Mark, if your transfer case is not repairable and if you are interested, I have an extra one that I pulled out of my 1999 ML320 three years ago at 130K miles on it. I had to replace the transmission but my replacement came with transfer case bolted on it and installed it in that way. Since then I got lucky and bought another like new complete tranny/transfer assembly out of 98 ML320 that spend its lifetime indoors oo pedestal frame. It was a model car for student mechanics to learn how to replace water pump and valve cover gaskets but drivetrain was untouched.
Bernard

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got tranfer case apart

Well with all kinds of delays I was finally able to pull my tranfer case apart and found the planetary gear set at the rear output shaft to have all 3 small planetary gears loose on the shafts. the teeth on them have no aparent wear. The crazy thing is that I have hardly any metal on the magnet in the bottom of the case.
Has anyone ever had a problem like this?
Bernard, I am definitely very interested in your case please call me 240-527-8887 or email me at [email protected]---Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts