Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(] I have just got my 84 300D back from taking it to the shop for a transmission filter change and my mechanic said he'd be wasting my time because there was a leak on the right side of the transmission. I have a couple of questions. 1. If I have to have someone do work on this are they going to rebuild the tranny because they're already in there? 2. Does anyone know a good independent mechanic near Kansas City? 3. Without doing a compression check the mechanic also said the motor is about worn out. He said this because he noticed a lot of blow by gasses when he opened the engine oil cap and the car is burning about a quart every 500 miles. Is this a fair assumption without a compression check. The exterior is gorgeous and the car only has 157,000 miles on it. Anyone please help...

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
I would do a compression check - what you described makes the car seem suspect. Does this ...

I would do a compression check - what you described makes the car seem suspect. Does this mechanic do diesels often? Some blow-by is normal for all diesels, but the oil burning part points more towards piston rings (compression). I would definatley have him do a compression check. Good luck!

B.T.W. - Did you just buy the car?

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression

I did just buy the car. Off Ebay so no return possible. The mechanic works on some diesels(TDI's) and he's the best VW man I've run across however he has limited MB knowledge. What I have to say for the car is that other than burning oil and the transmission leak(any ideas what this may be???) It shifts fine and has no problem doing 90 and I drove her 2000 miles in less than 2 weeks. Other than it's loud(its a diesel!) So even if my rings are going she feels like she's got some life in her. (Maybe I'm just in denial) Any thoughts. I do have knowledge of gas cars and I was hoping the tranny and engine would be alright because I can do most everything else, unfortunately I got the exact opposite. How difficult are trannies or engine rebuilds with little or no experience in these fields?

·
Registered
1985 300td diesel
8 Posts
tranny rebuild

Well, ask yourself if you'd take your car to an independent shop to have it "fixed" if none of the people there have rebuilt a tranny before.

Why would you allow yourself to mess it up then? Take it to a good shop that has all the tools, tranny lifts and experience you need. Major spinning components need to be done right if this is a car you'll be depending on for reliable transportation. If this is a project car, hey go nuts in the privacy of your own garage!![:)]

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
The engine will still run decently with low compression - the only things will be less per...

The engine will still run decently with low compression - the only things will be less performance, but that can be hard to tell, but the easiest to notice is hard starting (or no starting) in the winter.

Like bigT said, take it to a place that knows what they're doing. Don't mess around!

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well okay then. I will try and find an honest mechanic (chuckle) who knows more about m...

Well okay then. I will try and find an honest mechanic (chuckle) who knows more about my car. Appreciate the insight guys. Somehow I feel like when mechanics see the M-B they assume they can rip me off. I guess my next question is if I find out my compression is bad and my tranny needs a rebuild, would you suggest I pick up an engine and tranny from another vehicle or have mine worked on. I assume after rebuild the car will be "like new" but I guess if I have to drop 4-5000 $$$ into it I may be better off buying something newer. Kind of stinks because I am 3000 into this one already.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Transmission Problems

You can find a good used one a lot cheaper than having someone rebuild yours. Is the leak the only problem? You will not find a better Diesel engine in a Mercedes-Benz than yours. They are known to last. Unless your guy is a Mercedes-Benz mechanic I would certainly get a second opinion.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Oil Consumption

car is burning about a quart every 500 miles.
Someone said the best test of the engine without running a compression test is how it starts when cold in winter weather. That is exactly right. If it starts well on a cold morning, dont worry about the compression. If it does not, it could be compression or it could be a whole host of other simpler things like bad glo plugs, or tight valves (requires a simple valve adjustment). By the way, if the valves are far out of adjustment that can cause low comperssion too so never run the compression test until the valves have been adjusted.

As far as oil usage is concerned, if the engine is not worn out (see above), and it should not be with that milage unless it was abused, the most likely cause of oil consumption is hardened/worn valve stem seals. They are a notorious cause of oil consumption in MB diesels. I recently purchased an 81 300 TD from a friend and it was using/leaking about a quart of oil every 500 miles. It has 243,000 miles and has significant blowby. After fixing the leaks (valve cover gasket and air cleaner to pan return line o-rings) and putting in new valve stem seals (which cost $10 a set) it uses essentially no oil. Doing valve stem seals requires taking the valve cover off so its a good time to replace that gasket (they almost always leak if more than a year old), and you MUST adjust the valves too. Its about a 4 hour job for the back yard mechanic. Probably less than 2 hours for a shop with the right valve adjustment wrenches. You can do it yourself for $20 in parts or probably get it done by an experienced MB mechanic for $150-$200.

As a last note on oil consumption - an engine can use oil past the rings and still have good compression or it can have poor compression and not use much oil. The oil rings and the compression rings are different animals. That said, the two symptoms frequently go together when and engine is just plain worn out.

Bruce

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Yes, Bruce is right - there are a number of possible combonations that could be causing th...

Yes, Bruce is right - there are a number of possible combonations that could be causing the oil burning. I would recomend getting it to either a very experienced MB mechanic, or an MB Dealership. Have them take the valve cover off and: 1)Check the valve clearences 2)Check the Compression 3)If compression is good, have them check the valve seals

Honestly - I wouldn't jump on the trans right away. It could be just a leak. Again have someone who is experienced check it out first. My tranny was "on its way out" on my 1984 500SEL and according to my Mechanic didn't have much left to go, but it held out untill someone rearended me about 6 months later.

·
Registered
1985 300td diesel
8 Posts
committment

Well, this is the part where you have to decide how committed you are to this vehicle. Is this something that you plan to pass on to your kids or family? Is this something that you plan to love and drive for at least the next 5 years?? If so, then spend the cash now for quality repairs so you'll KNOW your car is A-1 and won't leave you walking down the highway. These are big repairs upfront, but in the long run (5 years or more), you will have everyone else that makes monthly payments beat. A trusty used car is the only way to go in my book but you have to be committed to the long term plan or you'll end up making a bunch of expensive repairs, giving up and selling it cheap to someone like me who is always looking for a quality deal!! [8D]

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crazy Guy Across the street

The crazy guy across the street who has a UNIMOG and a 240 D says to just keep dumping fluids into it and I'll be fine. So that's that. Just kidding, actually I have made an appointment with a (hopefully) qualified MB mechanic. I'll let you guys know the results. Appreciate all comments and you have given me hope. I doubt there's a forum like this for guys with 8,000 dollar Hyuandai's out there. Anyway thanks All.
Bis Denn

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leak Fixed

[:D] Just got my car back. Turns out the tranny leak was the modulator valve $104 to fix, shifter bushings were shot... the oil burning... too low of a weight oil(by the way do most of you run 20-50 or 15-40. I was running 15-40. does this make sense?) No compression issues. Had the valves adjusted and she's ticking like a clock.
So for next to nothing my car is fine and the guy I took it too, well he rocks and was honest. If your in the Kansas City area and you have an old MB or BMW I highly suggest Hafkemeyer Motors. Thanks guys for your faith in these automobiles. I would have put the thing back on ebay but it turns out I got a sweet deal.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
That is wonderful to hear! Too many times you hear of people ditching these cars because o...

That is wonderful to hear! Too many times you hear of people ditching these cars because of unexperienced mechanics miss-diagnosing them. My one advice to anyone who has a diesel MB (especaily those new to them) would be to find an MB Mechanic that is experienced (like more than 10 years) with Mercedes Benz autos, and in particular MB diesels.

Sometimes even dealers don't know the in's & out's of these cars. If you can find an old guy whos been working on MB's for a long time - thats the best!

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
What wieght oil were you using?

I use a 15w-40 diesel oil, which I would highly recome...

What wieght oil were you using?

I use a 15w-40 diesel oil, which I would highly recomened. Some of these include: Mobil Delvac, Shella Rotella and Chevron Delo. They are all specificaly designed for diesel engines. I think they are all either 15w-40 or 5w-40. I belive the Shell Rotella comes in different wieghts. You can find these at most any local auto place such as Autozone, National parts depot, Pep Boys, Advance auto parts, etc.

How much oil is the car burning? Are you using more than 1 - 1.5 quarts every 3,000 miles?

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
15-40

I was using a 15-40 wt oil. However, I've changed to 20-50 and noticed that my blowby has significantly been reduced (could also have been the valve adjustment) but I've only driven about 120 miles and have noticed no loss yet... Before when using 15-40 Delvac I was using about a quart a tank... Does anyone else run 20-50? The guy who recommended it (MB mechanic) has been working on MBs for about 30 years so I believe him.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
I think its probably a combonation of both. Thats great that you got it sorted out!

I think its probably a combonation of both. Thats great that you got it sorted out!

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Which Brand 20-50

I was using a 15-40 wt oil. However, I've changed to 20-50 and noticed that my blowby has significantly been reduced (could also have been the valve adjustment) but I've only driven about 120 miles and have noticed no loss yet... Before when using 15-40 Delvac I was using about a quart a tank... Does anyone else run 20-50? The guy who recommended it (MB mechanic) has been working on MBs for about 30 years so I believe him.
Which brand of 20-50 oil did you use this time?

Bruce

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.