Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i just got a 2005 e320 for 600 and i started it up for the first time in a year cause the owner had it sitting bit im gettin a whinning noise from the tranny i would appreciate any and all input from u guys

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,571 Posts
Does it drive ?
Is it 5 speed or 7 speed ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all the gears change it starts off lil slow then it picks up if i put it in drive and take my foot off the brakes it doesnt move until i press the gas and the gears all work fine just has a whinning noise when i start the car up and drivee

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
28 Posts
Do you have a dipstick on this car? I'd check the level and appearance of the trans fluid first.
It could be as simple as low trans fluid level or worn out, dirty old fluid and a full or hardening filter.
When I procured my 2008 E320 Bluetec it did that, though only subtly when cold. I changed the fluid, draining brown, watery fluid that visually verified it was beyond it's service life. The new red fluid and filter cured the problem.
Anyway, that is a relatively inexpensive place to start, assuming you can do the change yourself. Just my experience, others here with greater knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi guys i just got a 2005 e320 for 600 and i started it up for the first time in a year cause the owner had it sitting bit im gettin a whinning noise from the tranny i would appreciate any and all input from u guys

·
Premium Member
2005 E320 CDI
190 Posts
I have a 2005 E320 CDI with 213k miles. I have serviced the transmission three times in the past 133k miles mainly as PM's. I would suggest you obtain the following:Transmission Dip Stick and Transmission service kit.

Lift the car up on ramps and crawl under. Drain the pan, drop the pan, inspect for metal shavings that are loose and/or on the magnet. Remove and replace the conductor plate, filter, plug, and the gasket. Refill with the correct transmission fluid and report back.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i changed the fluid there was no metal shavings at all in the pan and the gears all change fine so dont see the need to change the conductor plate

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
868 Posts
Whining is a vague description. What drivability issues are you having with the transmission? Of course the car is mechanical, are you sure it's coming from the transmission? I can think of a lot of other items that can making a whining noise. It might even be normal if this is the first time you've driven it. MB transmissions are known to be sluggish, I would do the ECU reset for the transmission so it relearns the shift points.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have an e500 sounds nth likevthis and the noise gets louder the faster i drive and nobits not slugvish nor my first mb

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
netural or park when i press the gas the noise increase with the rpms i even took off the belt and started it and getting the same whining pitch noise so its not the powersteering pump or wheel bearings

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whining is a vague description. What drivability issues are you having with the transmission? Of course the car is mechanical, are you sure it's coming from the transmission? I can think of a lot of other items that can making a whining noise. It might even be normal if this is the first time you've driven it. MB transmissions are known to be sluggish, I would do the ECU reset for the transmission so it relearns the shift points.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
868 Posts
netural or park when i press the gas the noise increase with the rpms i even took off the belt and started it and getting the same whining pitch noise so its not the powersteering pump or wheel bearings
Are you sure it's not the motor mounts/transmission mounts? Those make everything louder when they're shot.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts