Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1968 MERCEDES 280SEL CONVERTIBLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife recently purchased a 1968 SL convertible coupe with automatic transmission. I have following questions:

a) Car does not seem to have a safety switch and will start in any gear. I have a friend in Belgium who has the same exact car and his also does not have a safety switch. Is this correct? If not, can such a switch be installed?

b) Car runs nicely and shifts very smoothly, but we cannot hear it shift into 4th gear. Most of our driving is around town, so it may not matter much, but any input on this will be appreciated. Is there any type of adjustment that can be made to enable car to shift into 4th gear?

I just posted pictures of this car on the Introduction section of this forum, but one picture is also attached here.

Thanks, Fritz68

Attachments

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
That's a 280SL, a W113. The SEL is a sedan.

There is a neutral safety switch, I suggest you check Pagoda SL Group - Index. It may be mounted on the firewall and have a cable to the trans linkage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU for the correction. I just checked the title and it is indeed a 280SL (not a 280 SEL). I will check for the switch tomorrow (car is at work). I did refer to a picture taken in our car museum and it sure says 280SL. Sorry about this error - I won't forget this again.

Thanks,

Fritz68

Attachments

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
friend had same great car

(now sent to Germany) This car is a perfect around town car with its gearing, more for 60's twisting mountain and city's driving, perfect gearing for the car, to give response, more about the "sportiness" of a small car" not an interstate flyer, more the beach cruiser. Add a W109 300SEL to the fleet for that.

The best improvement should be the 14" aluminum lightweight (OEM on some diesels) wheels. not the Bundts (heavier)

according to the owners manual if you wish first gear you must select the gear lever at 2, then shift up and count them.

·
Registered
1967 250SE (W108)
115 Posts
Nice car!.
Your tranny starts in 2nd unless you put the shifter in 2nd in which case you actually start in 1st. They tend to shift early unless you have your foot in the gas. They rev pretty high at highway speed, but that's normal. My 250se is turning over 4k rpm on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
The best improvement should be the 14" aluminum lightweight (OEM on some diesels) wheels. not the Bundts (heavier)
Email me if you want aluminum wheels that take hubaps info. There are one or two others that sell them. Also I would recommend you go to sl113.org and register there. There is much more pagoda-specific information on that forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Scott. We do not plan to change wheels, but thanks for the tip. Yesterday I registered at sl113.org and have received some help already on a couple of issues. We have a lot of cars that are too good to drive in our collection, but this little 280SL is already becoming everyone's favorite when it comes to driving. I appreciate your help as well as from others.

Fritz68

1 - 7 of 7 Posts