Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ive been doing some repairs on my 350SL and got it running for the road. Initially my car wouldn’t shift into gear or reverse. After replacing the trans filter and putting in new fluid, it ran just fine. After two days of driving it on the road the car began to lose power to the wheels even when at high RPM’s. I was able to bring it back home luckily. I let it sit over night and got to it the next day.

The car now shifts into reverse as it normally would but when shifted into drive, it would slowly get to speed while the RPMs are screaming. After 2nd gear the car would drive fine, but seems to cap out speed at 50 mph. But if I come to a stop sign, I have to do the whole process over again, getting to second gear while at super high RPMs. Ive already checked my trans fluid and its at the proper level. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,176 Posts
Check the throttle control cable
Hi all,

Ive been doing some repairs on my 350SL and got it running for the road. Initially my car wouldn’t shift into gear or reverse. After replacing the trans filter and putting in new fluid, it ran just fine. After two days of driving it on the road the car began to lose power to the wheels even when at high RPM’s. I was able to bring it back home luckily. I let it sit over night and got to it the next day.

The car now shifts into reverse as it normally would but when shifted into drive, it would slowly get to speed while the RPMs are screaming. After 2nd gear the car would drive fine, but seems to cap out speed at 50 mph. But if I come to a stop sign, I have to do the whole process over again, getting to second gear while at super high RPMs. Ive already checked my trans fluid and its at the proper level. Any advice would be appreciated.
Check the throttle control cable and vacuum modulator.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
543 Posts
Check the fluid. You can't just put in the specified amount. If you don't have the correct amount it will have the issues you describe. You have to fill drive, check and repeat.
Mine did not want to back out of the garage at first. Now it is fine after checking and adding twice then removing at the last check it works like new.

·
Registered
1977 450 SEL 6.9
898 Posts
Indeed proper fluid check is always the first step. Engine must be fully warmed up, car on level ground with engine running and in Park. Let idle, shift briefly through all gears with park brake on, then back to P. Then take multiple readings to make sure it's between the 2 marks on the stick. Be careful not to get any lint or debris into the fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts