Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Hollander interchange list for my 89' 560 sel

1989-91 560 sel ,420 sel, 107 chassis's

I found a 1991 W126 euro 300 SE tranny. Will this fit ?
the part # is 126 271 49 01, it sure looks close to mine

Help !!!!! Help !!! Help !!!!Help !!!!! Help !!! Help !!!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
all of the W126 automatics are the same transmission. The reason for the different part numbers is the trans plant has to adjust them to run right with different engines. Isn't it obvious that a six banger engine will have different power/torque charateristics from a Euro 560?? So instead of adjusting them on the production line which would take a lot of time they pre-tweak them and stamp a different number on them so the line workers can get the right trans in the right car. It will fit, tweak it and it will run right too.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,780 Posts
This is interesting. Can't wait to see the other opinions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NordRhein said:
all of the W126 automatics are the same transmission. The reason for the different part numbers is the trans plant has to adjust them to run right with different engines. Isn't it obvious that a six banger engine will have different power/torque charateristics from a Euro 560?? So instead of adjusting them on the production line which would take a lot of time they pre-tweak them and stamp a different number on them so the line workers can get the right trans in the right car. It will fit, tweak it and it will run right too.
So when you say tweak it , Are you referring to the valvebody ?
If I just installed it ,as is it would probably have different shift points
correct ? This car has been dead in my garage for a year now and I don't
have alot of time and money as most people don't. I need a cheap tranny.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
12 Posts
Portland Auto wrecking has a car just like yours.

I just called them 503-286-6262 and they want 1oo bucks for the tranny.
Need help pulling it i plan to be there saturday morning 8am.

I am after some ebay parts.

-Alan in portland

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You get to adjust the bowden cable and the vacuum modulator and they may have tweaked the governor springs and other nit noids in the valve body. You can swap the governor easy enough but it will drive the car. If you don't like the shift quality you may then consider swappng the valve bodies assuming your old one is ok. On the other hand you may not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
alanfromportland said:
Portland Auto wrecking has a car just like yours.

I just called them 503-286-6262 and they want 1oo bucks for the tranny.
Need help pulling it i plan to be there saturday morning 8am.

I am after some ebay parts.

-Alan in portland
I will call them in the mourning !!

I called a couple yards last year and they wanted a ARM or Leg , I

use to work for Foster auto parts as a dismantler, so I know removing it will

be a difficult , undercarrage panels, driveline , and of course difficult to reach bell

housing bolts aswell as torque converter bolts. Assuming the the donor is not

wrecked in the all the wrong place's , I would appreciate your help .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Portland auto wrecking , unfortunetly the car is a 86'
its probably the same tranny case but they made mods inside
I don't want to have to screw with it , I just want a throw one
in and be done , but thanks alan for the info and Help offer !!!

·
Registered
1985 300SD with a bad transmission and a 1985 300SD with a good transmission
578 Posts
I need a 722.4 for my 1985 300SD and someone said I have to have one off an SD due to the starter. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1990 300SEL (the new daily), Lexus LS (my baby), Land Rover (lol), Acura CL-S (yes)
781 Posts
Do we have a ruling on this assertion made almost ten years ago?

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,934 Posts
I don't know, I was told that the tranny here in my 84 500SEC parts car won't fit my 91 560SEC so I've left it where it is, I don't know it's condition either as this is a non running car. On another note I also left the heads in place because, while they will bolt up, the valves are smaller

·
Registered
578 Posts
yeah, I had the guy at the wrecking yard tell me 1981-1985 are all interchangeable. However, they went to the 722.4 in 1985 so that's not right :/

Anyone have a transmission for my 1985 300SD laying around?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,650 Posts
I am not familiar with the 300 transmission, never looked at it (only because I have a V8), but for what is worth I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the 560 and 420 transmissions are the same on the outside, the differences are inside. The 560 has 5 friction disks on the K1 clutch, the 420 has 4 disks (and different spacers in the clutch assembly to accommodate accordingly). Post 96-97 or so, the vacuum modulator was also changed on the 420 from green to black (color code translates in the end in a different hydraulic pressure at 30 mph), same may had happen on the 560 as well. I am also making the assumption (as assumed earlier) that the torque converter is also different between transmissions installed on different engines due to engine power/torque.

In conclusion, IMO for a 560 transmission swap, best is that a transmission coming from another 560 is the safest bet.

·
Registered
578 Posts
And just read a thread where a guy says he took the trans out of his 1982 and stuck it in his 1985 300SD...This is getting infuriating lol. I know once I have a working transmission I can do the swap it's just parsing all this which transmission will fit out of what that's killing me. Any help?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,671 Posts
I'm not sure we've ever had a definitive answer to this, all the times its been pondered.

Only opinions, not necessarily based on fact. (Pretty common on the old internet!)
And one or two people that found their transmission didnt work after a swap, when they'd thought it was compatible. So its a bit of a minefield.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts