Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to vintage mercedes and just bought a '68 250s. Just loved the shape; body is in great condition. When I drove it home, I seemed to be dragging in 3rd gear at 50mph. I thought w108's had 4sp auto trans. Aamco tells me the transmission on it is a 3sp.??? And it is on it's last legs. I guess that's the leak in the driveway [:(] He estimated $3000 for a rebuilt transmission then ad install cost on top!!! I'm looking for a second opinion or better yet, someone in the San Francisco bay area that can help me fix her. I'm just cruising around town in her for now. Thanks for any help! [email protected]

·
Registered
499 Posts
The best thing to do is get underneath and look at the trans.On the alloy casing ,just above the steel pan is a little plate.It will have a series of numbers on it.find those numbers and either leave a message here or contact a mercedes dealer to ask what type of trans you have.
$3,000 is WAY TOO MUCH!!!!
If you are California (I'm in Australia ) get in contact with "Sun Valley" Mercedes wreckers.They have a good web site.You will get a good deal from a company that understands our facination with the classic mercedes.http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/
[:D][8D][:D][8D][:D][:)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The plate on the transmission reads:

Mercedes Benz AG
Getr. Typ. *GA 230 SL E*
Ltd. Nr *46845*F

I assume this was from a 230sl.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sure does sound like a 230 trans.wrong trans entirely,the ratios and valve bodies are for a smaller six cylinder engine in a car half the weight of the 108 chassis.If it is a 230 trans it is worth more to a restorer than it is to you.Your trans should start as #108...etc
Check out sunvalley anyway and get the right trans for your car.[:)]
Correct trans is "722.201 or in the old numbering order, K4A 040 four speed trans."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. I did contact sun valley and they quoted a trans for $1050.00 + freight + core. Much better! Now I need to find a trusty mechanic for the job. Any takers out there? I live in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I live in Australia,bring it around and i'll fit it for you....[:D]
good to hear you are getting a better deal,always shop around.[:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts