Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone. i have looked around and haven't found anything stating this so i hope i didn't miss the thread or something.

i have a 1995 SL500 130k Kms on it and the transmission seems to be acting a little funny. or i believe it is. so when i shift into reverse there is a hesitation before it actually kicks in. there is about a 2-3 second delay after moving the shifter to R before it will actually be able to go in reverse. i don't know if this is normal but i am thinking it is supposed to be instant without the delay.

also in reverse there is a sound, i believe from the transmission, but i am not 100% sure. it only happens in reverse and it sounds like a scrapping, tapping or grinding sound. but the sound isn't constant it would be like if only one edge on a circle is grinding so the sound happens briefly unless you start speeding up. as if the gear is off centered or something. i have only started noticing it recently happening.

i haven't heard of this before and i am wondering what could cause it and if infant it is the transmission, which i think it is.

thanks.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
I have read in the forum about the electronic shift selector and adjuster contact points. The lever you move is not a direct contact to the transmission box. Sorry for no reference but I'm sure someone will fill in a real answer!

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no one know what could be causing the sound eh? something for the transmission i guess i will bring it into my mechanic and let him look at it and see how much $$$($) it costs. i really hope it is something simple and cheap, but being the transmission, I'm doubtful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts