Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped my 2002 ML 270CDI on a farm track with a slight incline and chatted to a friend for 5 minutes, during this time the engine was left running with the lever in 'P'...when i eventually went to move off i selected 'D' and pressed on the throttle but the car just wanted to roll backwards down the track, i pressed harder on the throttle pedal but the engine wouldnt rev very high, it felt 'restricted'and the truck still wanted to roll backwards...i selected 'N' and then 'D' again and the car reluctantly began to move forwards but it felt sluggish as if the handbrake was partly on (of course, it wasn't) i then continued on and tried using the tiptronic function but the gears wouldnt move from the one it was already in (the gear indicator on the dash showed 'D' all the time) i then stopped the engine and restarted it and the gearbox resumed normal behaviour!....it has been ok for the last few days now.
Any ideas as to whether i suffered a one off 'glitch?...or is this a sign of worse things to come?
The tranny oil and filter were renewed with MB parts approx 15k mikes ago, the level was checked recently and found to be ok.
Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have had one or two similar events although not in low range and not so severe; in my case the gear was stuck in 4th with the display showing D. I, too, stopped and restarted the engine (and probably more importantly the computer) and it was alright again.

I have had similar occurrences with the heating, 5 degrees outside, I select 22 degrees inside and only get cold air until I restart the motor, this has happened several times.

I asked the dealer who kindly loaded the latest version of the software, this has not cured the issue although it happens less often now.

One very nice side effect of the new software was very smooth gearchanges and a smoother motor - although this may be my imagination or just the effect of resetting the gearbox change points.

In short I would not worry too much about it, if it happens rarely and a single restart cures it, otherwise ask the dealer for new software.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marcelc, Thanks for your reply, its not happened again so far, just keeping my fingers crossed....
What are you getting to the gallon?, i have got 32mpg on a long run but down to about 28mpg on local running around.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Measuring by gallons of fuel into tank I get 27.5 to 29mpg, measuring by trip computer I get more.

My 30mpg point was just under 70mph when the motor was new, now the motor has done 40,000 miles the 30mpg point is between 80 and 85mph on level motorway.

I haven't been on any 500 mile trips for a long time so I cannot really say what the long run consumption really is; the trip computer reads about 32mpg on longer journeys unless I am very gentle on the throttle.

I get 1 to 2mpg better fuel consumption when the weather is warm.

It seems one of the most important factors for low fuel consumption is good tyre pressure, I have 255/65R17's and I put 2.5bar in both front and rear, this is high but I prefer the handling with this pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts