Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission has been shifting roughly the last ~6 months. It isn't all the time, just once or twice each time I drive I get a rough shift. I think the problem is probably the transmission fluid since it has never been changed.

The last few threads about this had arguments about whether changing the fluid is a good thing or if it would actually cause more wear and tear. Was there ever a concensus on this?

Finally how much does a dealership charge for this? I don't have a garage or the tools to do it myself, and AFAIK there is no shop nearby that can do advanced work on a MErcedes and the nearest dealership is 75 miles away.

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
You dont say how many miles are on the car, why dont you post that to allow us to provided a more informed suggestion.

You also dont say where you live so getting someone to refer you to a shop aint gonna happen til you fill out your profile and provide that info.

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad! The car has 149,500 miles and the 722.6 5 speed electronic transmission. I didn't bother posting my location because I live in North Dakota and I'm fairly sure nobody else on this board lives nearby. The closest dealership is in Fargo and beyond that I think there's one in Minneapolis.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
There is a lot of inf. if you search 722.6

Given the miles and possibly no change, you could drain about half by removing the pan (put a new filter in) and add about 3- 4 litres until up to the mark (at 80C - important)

There is a school of thought that you will not release as much 'varnish' etc by doing a partial change - very easy job - 6 bolts, filter pushes on - (don't overtighten bolts)

Later, you can drain/suck out another 3-4 litres and add more.

Here's some inf if you want to do check levels and not buy a dipstick - measurements are accurate (5.3cms low - 6.4cms high - from bottom of pan)

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
'98 C230, '08 C300
155 Posts
MB recommends trans flush every 60,000 miles for W202 (my C230 anyway), so you are quite overdue. Personally, I would not do this myself, but I am only a few miles from the dealer. Draining some fluid is not the same as flushing, though. I think it's worth a trip to the dealer to have your C280 serviced professionally before you toast the trans (and that will be very expensive compared to a flush).

Also, read the end of this article to be sure your trans is not in a bad state already.
Transmission Flushing

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Would you be willing to have your transmission rebuilt? With the 722.6 you are heading in that direction anyway at that mileage.

Estimate $2000-2500 for a good Indy, or $4500 factory unit.
Another option is sell the car and start again.

·
Registered
1996 c280
110 Posts
Here's a little thought for you and me. If it is recommended have it done!!! got my lil c280 to do next .

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I've done a couple of 722.6s at around 100k miles with good results (full drain of torque converter at the same time) then went on to flush more regularly at about 30k kms. I'd have a look at the ATF for colour and smell (brown is OK - green/ brown is in need of a change)

You have more to lose by not doing a partial flush and filter change as the outcome is inevitable - your filter may be part of the problem if really clogged

The attached pics are of a dissembled filter at 30k kms after 2 previous changes.

I don't care for the Toyota guy's conclusion to leave it alone and save up for a new one.

Oberoi

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts