Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am planning on changing my transmission fluid. I would like to know how many quartz of fluid I need when doing the refill.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realize that the transmission fluid require 4 quartz, but nothing has mention about the differntial fluid. How many quartz for the rear differentail?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
When I did my transmission fluid change I drained the TC as well and IIRC it took just under 9L to refill everything. The diff takes a little more than a liter. 2 1L bottles of Mobil1 was plenty for me.

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
In general it's a good idea to give some indication of the model/year of the car when asking about it.

The rear differential capacity is 1.4 US qt. The transmission capacity is 9.1 US qt. There's probably some oil left in the transmission. There's a procedure for adding transmission fluid to avoid overfilling somewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. My car is 1991 420 SEL.

I did the search and it indicated that the transmission fluid is about 4 quartz. Can anyone confirm this whether it is 9 quartz or 4 quartz?

As for the differential, I will prepare for 1.5 quartz. Planning to do this on the upcoming weekend along with oil change and all the fuses. Changing the fuse to copper and hope that the slight hesitation would go away with the changing of fuse and wires.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1985 300sd
45 Posts
i don't think the question is; how much fluid 4 or 9 quarts, but if you plan to drain the torque converter or not. 4 for the simple change, 9 if you drain the torque converter.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,333 Posts
just checking but the proper method of checking the tranny fluid level is how????

car on after a drive ?
is there a certain color ir should be..../consistency?

·
Registered
2000 ML320 / 1988 300SE / 1985 380SE / 1969 280SE
180 Posts
What brand and product will be good for MB transmission

Unfornately, I cannot get Redline, Amsoil or Mobil1 here in Brisbane but only Castrol or Valvoline unless getting genuine ATF from MB dealers.

I went through their website and decided to get Castrol Transmax M as I was not able to find Synthetic one, Transmax Z.

Can anyone tell me if Castrol Transmax M or Valvoline Type D is ok for this transmission. I can also get Nulon Synthetic which is a local brand.

The last choice will be of course MB genuine one but it is too expensive here. At least U$300 for 8 litres.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
vdub it's supposed to be after at least a 20 minute drive to get the tranny warm, engine running, on level ground of course. It should be fairly bright red. I know white means water is in it, brown-ish means it's burnt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts