Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 slk230
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what other SLK owners do about their transmission fluid. The owner's manual say's it is filled when the car is made and doesn't need to be replaced. I don't really buy into that.
The problem is that there is no trans stick to check the level or colour of the fluid. There is a mechanics stick I have seen on ebay but I'm not sure what is the right one to order for the slk 230.
I have 158k on the car and I think it would best to replace the fluid.

Any idea about this isssue?

·
Registered
2012 SLK350
405 Posts
Possibly one of the most discussed subjects on this board. A search will turn up a wealth of info. Start here;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...luid-exchange-transmission-fluid-exchange.pdf

As long as you are doing that, some preventive mainenance;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r17...ring-transmission-fluid-leak.html#post2287316

Yes! at 158k you are well in need of a change. The 1999 model should also have the drain plug on the torque converter allowing you to change almost all of the fluid.

·
Registered
SLK 200 Year 1999 European
213 Posts
Change, change and change...
Looking to the production of your car I think you can also flush the converter...
You might need +/- 7 liters...
Latest MB ATF is: A 001 989 68 03 13 (ATF 134)
You can check the quantity of the ATF that you flushed out and add the same quantity... (If you already checked the level when the AFT is hot and before flushing)
Change the filter and the gasket also...
Add a magnet to the pan if not there by origin...
Once you filled with the new ATF, while engine running, move the gear to all positions for 30 second on each (P-D-4-3-2-1)...
Drive smoothly for 20 miles before checking the level again...
ATF has to be at the normal working temperature...
You have to check it when gear on "P" and engin running...
Add ATF if the level requires...
You will fill the difference...

·
Registered
4 Posts
With 158K there is no need to verify ATF levels or colour just change, change and change it, and while at it ,change the filter and the transmision plug too.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,883 Posts
change!

it makes a big difference to the smoothness of gear changes...

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Here's the dipstick measurements in case you can't get the OEM type

Measure at full temp (80deg C) -- should be between 53mm and 64 mm from bottom (when the dipstick hits the bottom of the pan.)

Details of cap removal in case you need it - no need for a new one - red bit will lock it in place.

There is a school of thought that changing all the fluid on high mileage cars for the first time might dissolve a lot of debris and cause problems - solution is to change only half (4 litres) and wait a while before doing the lot. - That said, I did mine at 130k kms and had no trouble (I did however change it all again within 10k just to be sure - plenty dirty even after only10k)

Oberoi

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts