Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to drain my transmission fluid but am not sure where to put the new fluid in my 2002 clk 430. Nothing seems to be marked on the engine and on a conventional car I would put it through the dipstick but am not sure if that is the right course of action on this car. It seems that the only dipstick I have is for the transmission fluid as the oil is read electronically.

Please help.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answer

I guess I will answer my own question..... after reading everything I could find on the internet (which isnt much because everyone charges you for even the simplest information), I found out that there is no easy way to change the transmission fluid in this vehicle. This seems like a poor design that makes even simple maintainence difficult. Mercedes claims that this is a closed system and never needs changing (apparently they only expect thier vehicles to be driven less than 50k in a lifetime).

Well, the answer is that you will have to rig a device to put the transmission fluid back in through the pan. I used a small hobby fuel pump and a small piece of rubber foam to plug the hole and put the tubing through then just put the other side of the tubing in the quart of fluid. It took about 30 minutes and is much nicer than the black sludge I removed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Uh, welcome to the forum.

Please take a minute to click the User CP link and complete your user profile for BW to include your location and vehicle as that is almost always helpful information.

I'm not sure where you searched, there is a wealth of FREE information on this website. The search button on this page works great and the new google site-specific search is also useful. FWIW, you can use the AT service DIY in the 210 forum, same transmission, same procedure. It is also a HEAVILY discussed topic here.

Just a few thought/questions/concerns.

First, I hope that you used genuine MB fluid, it's not regular fluid you can easily purchase other than the dealer or online. If not, you need to change it again right away and flush it per the 210 DIY by yumling.

Second, it doesn't sound as though you dropped the pan and changed the filter, which strikes me as odd. If not and all you did was drain out a little and add more back, then I'd suggest a regular fluid and filter change in a few thousand miles.

Last, you didn't mention the dipstick tool, which I suppose isn't important if all you did was suck some out and put exactly that amount back. A normal drain/filter/fill you'll need the dipstick tool, easily sourced from ebay. But there's about 9 liters of fluid in the system...how many did you replace?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts