Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 sel
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the mastering the art of the diff oil change, I have turned my attention to the transmission fluid. The car shifts smoothly, no problems, just going through all the fluid changes.
I cannot see any leaks. The PO had the gearbox overhauled 36000kms ago, cost AUD $3700.00.
I have searched and searched, many a thread out there. Following the advice I checked the fluid level. Car warm, parked flat, @ idle, checked in P and N.
The level is just above the BEND in the dipstick.. WAY below the first mark.
Rechecked a few times, still low. Switched off the engine let it stand 5-10 mins and rechecked, now at the first mark. What is going on?? Which is the correct level?. Advice please.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Just a thought; are you sure your car has the right dipstick?
On mine it's always between the marks when hot (after a 20 min drive) and idling in park after going through all gears.

gr J

·
Registered
380 sel
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears to be the correct one with the locking clamp. Checked it again same result. I would simply add some fluid, but am concerned about overfilling that I have read about.
Can someone please post the procedure to change the fluid/?gasket/?filter. I may do this instead of just filling it up.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
What I mean is not a stick from another brand, but from a different MB gearbox!

Fluid and filterchange is in the DIY.

gr J

·
Registered
380 sel
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"but from a different MB gearbox!". The car has the original gearbox, I have no idea if the PO swapped the dipstick. How would one tell if the stick is for the 380?.
I will search the DIY again and perhaps post a pic of the whole dipstick in the morning.

·
Registered
380 sel
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I found Jonathan's write up on the trans oil change in the DIY/tyre and wheel thread. Did not seem to come up with a general search for "transmission fluid / filter change".

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,560 Posts
After the mastering the art of the diff oil change, I have turned my attention to the transmission fluid. The car shifts smoothly, no problems, just going through all the fluid changes.
I cannot see any leaks. The PO had the gearbox overhauled 36000kms ago, cost AUD $3700.00.
I have searched and searched, many a thread out there. Following the advice I checked the fluid level. Car warm, parked flat, @ idle, checked in P and N.
The level is just above the BEND in the dipstick.. WAY below the first mark.
Rechecked a few times, still low. Switched off the engine let it stand 5-10 mins and rechecked, now at the first mark. What is going on?? Which is the correct level?. Advice please.
You drive the car for about 10 miles.
Transmission should be hot.
Park on level ground.
Engine must be on.
Shift on park.
Oil should be on the upper line on the dipstick.
I think you are low.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
380 sel
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a3jeroen, the part number on the dipstick is; atf-ol 126 270 00 83. I hope that it is the correct stick.
aam, I agree that is just low. I have topped up for now. I will do the filter and change fluid in about 2 weeks, the in-laws leave then.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It seems like there's only one type of dipstick, so you're probably low like suggested.

gr J

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
It seems like there's only one type of dipstick, so you're probably low like suggested.

gr J
who you callin a dipstick? not. Iv tried a forum search & couldnt find anything on changing fluid & filter! if you do this could you take pics & posibly short writeup? im following & am going to do both rearend, trany,also self leveling susp., & brake fluid. just in case your interested in forging the way?

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
anyone know the volume of fluid (in fl oz) it takes to go from the bottom mark to the top mark?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Registered
380 sel
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw this thread, but was not confident following the advice of a Guest poster with 0 Posts.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
Something must have got lost in translation huh?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...560sel-easy.html?highlight=transmission+fluid

So it wasn't in the DIY, but somewhere else in the archives. So is the diff and everything else.

gr J
i was trying an attempt at humor! "not". you had to see a movie called boratt, or something like that. but if you havent dont wast your time. i also found a writeup by using the 3 word thing, simaler to what you got, except they were saying you have to turn the motor with a wrench to line up the converter drain. wheels of corse off the ground. so ill price it out befor i suit up. like was stated befor clenlyness is so important.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Ahh Borat.....eez nice!
No I didn't see the movie, just some trailers.
Since English is not my first language........:rolleyes:
keep up the fun!
And yes you can turn the engine clockwise using a 27 mm nut on the crank-bolt to get the converterdrainplug in the right position.

gr J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts