Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1999 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been perusing the threads for an answer to this, am just getting a little confused....

I need to pick up some transmission fluid for my 1999 e320 today, and am not sure what to ask for. Anyone?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Your car calls for 236.10 ATF. I'm sure you've seen that there are several complaints by people who have tried the newer 236.14 (7-speed).

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
OK, I'll take your recommendation and get the 236.10.

Thanks a million!
MM has given you the proper spec to look for; however your comment about "picking some up" suggests it will be a short search. Other than online there's really no place to get any; the dealers now only stock the 236.14 fluid, and though some stores stock the Valvoline MaxLife fluid, MB has not recognized it as meeting spec (though Valvoline says it does).

Since you only have to service the AT every several years (for most people) I'm not bothered by the additional cost of the spec fluid that has been graced by MB (available online under Fuchs, Titan, Shell 3403, etc.). That said, those who have tried MaxLife haven't reported any problems.

Fluid spec information is also in the 722.6xx FAQ sticky, which really is the one-stop thread for pretty much anything the typical owner/DIYer needs to know, Loubapache did a great job on it.

·
Registered
1999 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check Codes, I am completely prepared to purchase the spec fluid, at the moment, I have a leak, fluid is very low, and I'm in a small town an hour away from home. There is a Napa Auto Parts store here; I thought I would just see what they have.

My plan is to take the car to my mechanic on Friday; just need to get it home safely.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
NAPA should have at least one of the fluids CC mentioned. Just top it off, making sure the level is correct, and drive it home. Then find/fix the leak and replace all the ATF with whatever you decide to use.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
napa carries german febi-bilstein atf which is a 236.10 fluid (from febi), it even carries the 236.10 part # (0019892103). NAPA AUTO PARTS . it's around $11 and that would be my first choice.
also napa carries pentosin atf1 but it costs $15 NAPA AUTO PARTS .
regarding maxlife atf, i have it in my cars but maxlife has changed their formulation and now it is a thinner fluid making in closer to 236.14 spec rather than 236.10 spec. either way it would be perfectly fine to use in our transmission, just the fact that few members have complained of harsher shifts with the thinner 236.14 fluid. next fluid change i'm using febi atf from napa.

·
Registered
1999 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
napa carries german febi-bilstein atf which is a 236.10 fluid (from febi), it even carries the 236.10 part # (0019892103). NAPA AUTO PARTS . it's around $11 and that would be my first choice.
also napa carries pentosin atf1 but it costs $15 NAPA AUTO PARTS .
regarding maxlife atf, i have it in my cars but maxlife has changed their formulation and now it is a thinner fluid making in closer to 236.14 spec rather than 236.10 spec. either way it would be perfectly fine to use in our transmission, just the fact that few members have complained of harsher shifts with the thinner 236.14 fluid. next fluid change i'm using febi atf from napa.
GREAT. Merci!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
GREAT. Merci!
How do you know you're low, other than that you have a leak? Do you drive around with the dipstick tool? These transmissions are really sensitive to fluid level, so be careful about overfilling.

Is your leak the infamous connector/pilot bushing? Is there a Chrysler dealer around? They'd have the part and perhaps wouldn't charge too much to change it.

Good luck and safe travels, and a tip of the hat to tirona for the Napa info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you know you're low, other than that you have a leak? Do you drive around with the dipstick tool? These transmissions are really sensitive to fluid level, so be careful about overfilling.

Is your leak the infamous connector/pilot bushing? Is there a Chrysler dealer around? They'd have the part and perhaps wouldn't charge too much to change it.

Good luck and safe travels, and a tip of the hat to tirona for the Napa info. :thumbsup:
I do have the dipstick tool, and it is very low.

I will have to look into the connector/pilot bushing - thanks.

·
Registered
1999 E320 wagon, purchased 10/'14 w 421k,lo miles engine,paid $1500,driving accross country, then??
148 Posts
I've read the whole post, and still confused. I would like the drain and refill my '99 E320 tranny. should I use Wal Mart tranny oil? Or NAPA? Huge diff in price!

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
I've read the whole post, and still confused. I would like the drain and refill my '99 E320 tranny. should I use Wal Mart tranny oil? Or NAPA? Huge diff in price!

If you feel lucky taking your chances, Megamillions has $320 mils to take this week.
Get yourself familiar with MB approval sheet.
Approved fluids change almost weekly, so won't even post what is approved today, but I am strong believer in original MB fluids.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Greenish? Do you have a leak in the cooler?

The current spec for fluid is 236.14. In the US, generally the least expensive is the Shell 134 if you buy a case from a distributor, maybe $5-6 a quart. After you drain the transmission and converter, I'd flush another two quarts through via the yumling trick in the stickies, may as well clear out the cooler segment.

Don't forget to get a proper dipstick took.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,659 Posts
"If you buy a car from a Shell distributor?" Please explain, and where would one buy Shell oil?
shell134 transmission fluid is reasonably commonly available at many good auto parts store. (good= NAPA etc., NOT wallmart etc.)

And, in my case, the local MB dealer sells the shell134 at better prices than the auto stores. They only use the MB bottles when it is a warranty work or the customer insists on MB bottles. The shell 134 is the same fluid as the MB bottled fluid.

I've used 236.10 fluid in the E420 and SL500 and now the 236.14 shell fluid and personally haven't noticed any difference in performance or shifting. Although others have. But then, I change fluid every 25K miles or so, that may be part of the reason.

·
Registered
1999 E320 wagon, purchased 10/'14 w 421k,lo miles engine,paid $1500,driving accross country, then??
148 Posts
I posted a silly video of the tranny oil check using a speedo cable. I found a Ford dipstick cable lying on the ground at a junkyard, trimmed the lead end a bit to make the tite curve, but it's several inches too short to hit the bottom of the pan. Should I buy the filter from Auto Zone? It's in stock, and I'll be hitting the road for a 3,000 mile drive home.

To re-cap, I flew out to San Fran with a friend on the 21st, found the Merc on CL, filling it with junk Corvair parts and Chevy truck parts, staying with a nice friend for a week, and lvng Monday. We'll stop in Durango Colorado to visit a friend with a Volvo repair shop. I hope he lets me use his shop to change the oils, and we'll continue east...

I don't know if there'l be enuff time to order and receive a dipstick and filter kit from an online seller. What should the local MB shop get for a filter gasket and quarts oil? I'm a good talker, if that helps get the price down, and how many Mercs do you think they see with 422k?

The top pix is the junk Suburban I didn't buy... Lying seller, he got m for $350 deposit, oh well, made it up on the E320, paid $1500, everything works, cold A/C, 30mpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.