Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 560sl 1987
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your advise please

I have a question about a transmission which was overfilled by 2 or 3 quarts for a couple of days after a fluid change.
What kind of damage could this cause, if any?
Seems to be shifting fine but have noticed a few drops of transmission fluid when parked, left side.
Is there a potential for future damage which should be addressed with the shop before they forget there mistake?

Thanks

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Your advise please

I have a question about a transmission which was overfilled by 2 or 3 quarts for a couple of days after a fluid change.
Seems to be shifting fine but have noticed a few drops of transmission fluid when parked, left side.
Is there a potential for future damage which should be addressed with the shop before they forget there mistake?

Thanks
IIRC too much tranny fluid will cause it to foam an lose it's ability to lubricate which will fry your transmission if left too long. I gather it is the right amount now? As long as you didn't put too many miles on it is probably okay.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,153 Posts
Your advise please

Thanks
This is an engineered piece of machinery that, like all things engineered, has its limits.
While owner neglect and abuse has been built in to the design, "2 or 3 quarts" probably exceeds that. More is not better in this case. I suggest that you don't drive it until you have an opportunity to reduce the level of ATF to normal levels.
Trani rebiuld = $3000.

" CAUTION: Do not overfill the transmission. Too much fluid can cause the fluid to foam, which in turn can lead to erratic shifting, oil starvation and transmission damage. Too much fluid may also force ATF to leak past the transmission seals.

Add half a quart at a time until the dipstick shows full. The transmission really isn't full yet because the dipstick should be checked when the fluid is hot, and the engine is idling with the gear selector in Park. So start the engine, drive the vehicle around the block, then recheck the fluid level while the engine is idling and add fluid as needed until the dipstick reads full."

·
Registered
1991 420SEL
9 Posts
I am similarly worried. Bought a 420 SEL with an overfilled transmission, several quarts. Erratic shifting is a good description. On the 350 miles home, it would downshift at 70 mph randomly sending the tach to 5,500 or so RPM. The fluid was dark and the dipstick was hot enough that when checking, it smoked. Dropped the pan, replaced the filter and fluid and all is right in the world, shifts fine. Just wonder how long that had been going on and trying not to speculate on how many miles are left before the poor abused transmission begins singing its death song.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL AMG, 1999 ml320
211 Posts
well time to do a flush and fill for the trans. you may be able to have a oil chang place to sifer out the over fill. but if is turns dark, smell the trans flued, if it smesl bert change the oil and you may whnat to change the filter also

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Normal operating conditions apply

This is an engineered piece of machinery that, like all things engineered, has its limits.
While owner neglect and abuse has been built in to the design, "2 or 3 quarts" probably exceeds that. More is not better in this case. I suggest that you don't drive it until you have an opportunity to reduce the level of ATF to normal levels.
Trani rebiuld = $3000.

" CAUTION: Do not overfill the transmission. Too much fluid can cause the fluid to foam, which in turn can lead to erratic shifting, oil starvation and transmission damage. Too much fluid may also force ATF to leak past the transmission seals.

Add half a quart at a time until the dipstick shows full. The transmission really isn't full yet because the dipstick should be checked when the fluid is hot, and the engine is idling with the gear selector in Park. So start the engine, drive the vehicle around the block, then recheck the fluid level while the engine is idling and add fluid as needed until the dipstick reads full."
Nobby is right, of course.
BT edit: Is that a Can. half quart?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,153 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes Benz 560 SEC
9 Posts
Back at the ranch... we had an initial post where there was a concern about having had the transmission fluid overfull. I was looking for a solution to the resulting overfilled tranny. HOW DO I UN-OVERFILL IT?
I have the issue of a heavy-handed pour. So if Canadian Babes can chill for a couple more minutes without you...
I know it is now leaking tranny fluid from the dip-stick spout connection to the tranny. I am assuming the quickest and easiest way to eliminate this... loosen that bolt and let it drain (think about your grandkids). Tighten and Inspect. I have never been known to be wrong and when you get to my age there are not many firsts to experience.
Would you first me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, the mission today is to get the fluid to an acceptable level and clean up the concrete pad upon which the car sits. It would be most excellent if I could find a picture of what I would be looking at from under the car, a list of any tool that may come in handy, and maybe a suggestion as to how NOT to get the fluid in your face when the bolt falls.

I ask for the world but when I get the old lady back prowling the streets like the "COUGAR" she was... I will post my simplicity...
SLS... get educated
FUEL PUMP... NOT
BURNED...
Get WIRED...

I've done some technical writing in the past that has set the pace for this type of information interchange. So it would be my honor to take the time, then, to do the write-ups. I have been taking pics all along..

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,768 Posts
Back at the ranch... we had an initial post where there was a concern about having had the transmission fluid overfull. I was looking for a solution to the resulting overfilled tranny. HOW DO I UN-OVERFILL IT?
Start sucking. It can be removed through the filler tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The approach that SUCKS the most... I will bravely pursue until I have bled every drop ...

Then, I have a concrete pad I gotta clean. I try to take a walk on the beach to clear my head but I can't take a step without somebody running into me and totally BLOWING my plans for cleaning transmission fluid off my

-- == -- = xxx -- xx == bb
If anyone can remember what solution is the best to clean transmission fluid off concrete, please let this poor man out of his pain and respond. Thank You

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,279 Posts
So, the mission today is to get the fluid to an acceptable level and clean up the concrete pad upon which the car sits. It would be most excellent if I could find a picture of what I would be looking at from under the car, a list of any tool that may come in handy, and maybe a suggestion as to how NOT to get the fluid in your face when the bolt falls.

I ask for the world but when I get the old lady back prowling the streets like the "COUGAR" she was... I will post my simplicity...
SLS... get educated
FUEL PUMP... NOT
BURNED...
Get WIRED...

I've done some technical writing in the past that has set the pace for this type of information interchange. So it would be my honor to take the time, then, to do the write-ups. I have been taking pics all along..
Easiest way to unfill is to get a hose siphon kit. These come with mity vacs. Stick the long rubber hose into the dip stick hole (hehe) and start sucking. Keep sucking until your fluid level is between the two marks.

I've done this. It sucks. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
788 Posts
I have the issue of a heavy-handed pour. So if Canadian Babes can chill for a couple more minutes without you...
I know it is now leaking tranny fluid from the dip-stick spout connection to the tranny. I am assuming the quickest and easiest way to eliminate this... loosen that bolt and let it drain (think about your grandkids). Tighten and Inspect. I have never been known to be wrong and when you get to my age there are not many firsts to experience.
Would you first me?
Your advise please

Thanks
If it was me, I would have the tranny serviced ASAP. Drain, flush, check for metal in the pan, refill to the proper level.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts