Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit exhasperated by a recurring leak of transmission fluid onto the center console carpeting on driver front side of our 2003 ML500. We have had the car for 2.5 years and from the time we've owned it it has had transmission fluid on the carpeting.

We've had it serviced two times to fix the problem and the leak keeps recurring. Last mechanic said that MB has changed the design several times but he continues to see this problem a lot - wicking of fluid from trans box up through cabin on the electrical cable.

I am reluctant to have my carpets cleaned yet again if the fluid wicking is going to happen again.

If this is such a recurring problem, why isn't there a recall on this vehicle? It is not exactly an environmentally safe situation to be breathing transmission fluid offgassing from heater air blowing right over the fluid sitting on console carpeting.

Maybe this is why the previous owner sold the vehicle. I am thinking of getting rid of ours - would be a shame as we love the vechicle in nearly every other respect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the source. Are you aware of any successful remedies - by MB or 3rd parties? After the last repair the main cabin was oily again in less than two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
If it has been going on for 2.5 years and you have 20 posts since 3006 why is it just getting posted now?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I let it go for awhile thinking it was an old leak of some sort. It was only after the leak got worse that I decided to have it looked at by Mechanic A. He fixed, said it was a chronic problem, I then had the carpets cleaned, and two weeks later discovered it was leaking again. So I went to Mechanic B who is semi-retired but who I trust as much as any, and he replaced with the latest OEM part. He told me about the multiple design changes and said even the latest design continues to less than a perfect solution.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Thanks for the info on the source. Are you aware of any successful remedies - by MB or 3rd parties? After the last repair the main cabin was oily again in less than two weeks.
I thought it would be obvious. Replace the part pictured. Then you have to clean the harness and then you will have to remove the Trans. Control Module, open it up and clean also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts