Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for "Transmission Fluid Leak", "Tranny Leak", etc and I see nothing from R/C107 forum (which is a good thing in a way I guess). I haven't been able to get underneath this thing, but I just wanted to see what the common culprit of leaking ATF fluid is on these things. I'm hoping it's just the pan gasket that needs replacing, but expecting the worst. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had a main seal leak by the pump ,that means the transmission needs to come out,labor intensive,also if you replace one seal do them all if the tranny is already out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There is much more posted on this topic; just keep trying different search terms. As one with a dripping trany, I seem to recall there were one or two known easy fixes, and more than a few labor-intensive ones. I added a bottle of Trans-X to my trany but haven't noticed any improvement in the month since doing so.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Might want to look at the power steering system ,if you cant get under it and isolate the source,, they can "leak like a sieve".

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I did a search for "Transmission Fluid Leak", "Tranny Leak", etc and I see nothing from R/C107 forum (which is a good thing in a way I guess). I haven't been able to get underneath this thing, but I just wanted to see what the common culprit of leaking ATF fluid is on these things. I'm hoping it's just the pan gasket that needs replacing, but expecting the worst. Any thoughts?
You need to have a look. You will probably have to go under and wipe everything clean, then drive (slowly) and go back under and have another look.

Sometimes it is the PS and it runs down ad could drip from anywhere.

But it could be the front seal on the tranny - There you will see drips from the grating under the torque converter. I had this happen and eventually, had it attended to. I think it cost about $600 of which $100 or so was the seal kit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wash the under side of the car (you can try going to a drive-thru car wash) and then get the car up in the air or find a way to get under it after several miles. Also, note where on your driveway it is leaking. I've seen them leak at a gazillion places. There are lots of o-rings and seals on these. All can be fixed!

·
Registered
470 Posts
P.S. I realize that is probably the most pain-in-the-butt answer...basically saying "it could be anywhere!!" :) But in all seriousness, identifying where the leak is coming from is 50% of the battle!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Trying to find threads that explain the atf leak when parked up for too long. Mine has never leaked in the past, but had it parked for 6 months and found a small puddle underneath. Fluid level seems fine.
Can anyone remind me why it does this?!

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
The seals need heat and movement otherwise they will dry up. Just drive it and it will seal back up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts