Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Mercedes 300D
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever changed this out on their own? Or would be better to take to a professional and have them do it?

Also when performing the diesel purge which hoses am I disconnecting? I know I need to disconnect the "Cigar hose" but then do disconnect the 1/4" hose that is connected to the 90degree plastic fuel filter?

·
Registered
1977 Mercedes 300D
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also here is a picture of what I am talking about...the arrow is pointing to the tube I think i need to disconnect...

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Yes, disconnect this hose, but on the far end, not at the filter elbow. Leave connected to the filter. Then, you need about 18 inch piece of fuel hose with an adaptor bushing and you connect it to the disconnected fuel line and secure with clamps. This will give you enough hose lengths to stick inside the purge bottle. This is your suction fuel inlet hose. The cigar hose is the fuel return hose and goes into the purge bottle also, but you do not need to submerge it in the liquid.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
jkinsey said:
Has anyone ever changed this out on their own? Or would be better to take to a professional and have them do it?
The ATF and filter change is DIY. I copied the process below so you can decide if you want to try it.

Changing the ATF and Filter

Tools and Supplies:
8 quarts of Dexron III ATF
AT filter
Pan gasket
Ramps
Torque wrench
Torque spec for converter drain plug: 14 Nm, oil pan bolts: 7 Nm.
Funnel that fits the dipstick tube
27mm socket/wrench with extension
5mm Allen key
Phillips screw driver
8 quart (minimum) drain pan
Lots and lots of rags

Attach the 27mm socket to the crankshaft bolt and turn the engine clockwise until the converter drain plug can be seen through the vent. Open the plug with the Allen key and let it drain.

Remove the dipstick/filler tub at the bottom of the pan and let it drain. One option is to let it drain overnight. The lower part of the AT and filter are submerged in ATF in the pan sump and will drip forever when you drop the pan and the filter. Letting it drip will avoid much of the mess. If you elect to drop the pan and replace the filter the right away make sure you’ve got lots of rags around. DO NOT WIPE ANY PART OF THE AT WITH RAGS. Even the smallest fiber can damage the system. There are three Phillips screws holding the filter to the bottom of the AT. Remove the old filter and replace with the new one. Clean the AT pan.

Remove the old pan gasket and replace with the new one, reattach the pan to the bottom of the AT.

Add four quarts of ATF to the transmission through the dipstick tube using a funnel. Start the car and run the gear selector through all gears. Add more ATF up to less then one quart of ATF to avoid overfilling. For example, if your AT takes 7.9 quarts of fluid add seven quarts. Drive the car and get the ATF hot. On level ground run the gear selector through all the gears again and check the ATF level. Add more fluid if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts