Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML 500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

How would I DIY transmission fluid change? I woudl probably go buy the fluid from the dealer. I was quoted approx $450.00 for the 39,000 miles service x. I forgot the number but this is the one as stated in the manual. It is recommended at this mileage to change the transmission fluid.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Pics would be helpful.

:) mcphere

·
Registered
557 Posts
Paging Paul S8 for this one....

·
Registered
85 Posts
If mcphere is asking this question, I wouldn't attempt it myself. If the transmission is underfilled, serious damage will occur. I would ask what is the cost to change the engine oil and filter (only thing they really do on a service C except honk the horn) and then ask what is the cost for transmission fluid and filter change. That's all I would buy.

·
Registered
557 Posts
We all did it with the A8. I cannot imagine it will be much different...

·
Registered
557 Posts
The link doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got back from the stealership. They want $650 for the 39000 miles transmission service (transmission service only, oil and other service extra). I can't believe this.
Mcphere, were you able to do your own transmission service? I'm getting close to 39000 miles and looks like will have to do this on my own!

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,102 Posts
It CANNOT be done DIY on the 7-speed.

You don't have the special tools.

Fluid is both drained and refilled through the same hole.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It CANNOT be done DIY on the 7-speed.

You don't have the special tools.

Fluid is both drained and refilled through the same hole.
Thanks!!!
Is the price ($650) comparable with other dealerships? Has anybody had the transmission service done and if so, how much was it?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmm special pump of some sort...I guess this one of the things you just need to accept as a MB owner...

·
Registered
2006 ML 500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tools that is needed...

I was able to get a quote for $370.00 to replace the transmission oil here in Seattle. Independent dealer. The owner used to be a master technician for mercedes benz in germany. He was suprised to know that he needs to change the transmission fluid 'cause he was telling me you don't need to change it for the W163.

hmmm.. he was probably happy 'cause that means more money for him.

I went and did some digging and found out the tools that you will need:

12mm x 1.5 Drive Line Filler System Adapter for Mercedes-Benz
AST tool# ATF 129

- COMING SOON
- 12mm x 1.5 Drive Line Filler System Adapter for Mercedes-Benz
- Made in the U.S.A

12mm x 1.5 Mercedes-Benz adapter for the 722.9 Automatic Transmissions. Used in conjunction with the ATF Filler System. Individual adapter included (does not include pump, container, hose, or shut-off valve).

2008 suggested user price: 38.44

Assenmacher Specialty Tools
1 800 525 2943

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 ML 500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
additional info...

Automatic Transmission Fluid Capacity Specifications:

Capacities 9.6 qts (9.0 liters)

Automatic Transmission Fluid Fluid Type Specifications:

722.6 / 5-Speed MB Automatic Transmission Fluid
MB Part No. 001 989 21 03 10

Note: The 722.6 transmission is filled with a special transmission fluid and is considered to be "filled for life".
Warning: Do not use on 722.9 transmissions.

722.9 / 7-Speed MB Automatic Transmission Fluid
MB Part No. 001 989 45 03 10

Note: Can be used on 722.6 transmissions. Must be used on 722.9 transmissions.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Very good info. Thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
The dealer contacted me again and said there price is $525 and not $650; that was a mistake! Still a rip-off. I called couple of other places and all told me between 450-500 so looks like going with dealer makes sense.
Mcphere, thanks for the useful info. I'm in Redmond area and hence the Bellevue dealership is the most convenient one for me. Although, for $370, I'm tempted to drive to Seattle and get this done ;-)

·
Registered
2006 ML 500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
David123,

The independent dealer is located in shoreline. Contact info: european motors corp. uwa odenwald is the owner (pronounced as "oohvah". He was the one who quoted the price. 1-866-604-5985 Tell him you were referred by Ed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts