Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people recomend Dexron III.

I used to work for a Chrysler dealer and we used ATF 3+ fluid as it was way better than Dexron III.
It is said to be a better version of Dexron III with all working parameters exceeding Dexron.

Therefore most of our transmissions got ATF 3+ at a regular change. But it was Chrysler.

1. Now, my 1st question is - have anyone here ever used ATF 3+ fluid on a second generation Benz?

Is it safe?

2. Also have anyone here tried any additives?
Like for instance
a) Lucas transmission fix?
b) Trans-X
What results?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Many have used synthetics with great results on the 722.3xx transmissions – if you want the best.

Whatever you use please do not use an additive.

As with motor oil I believe it is more important to change the ATF and filter on a regular basis than the type of ATF used, provided it’s the correct application, e.g. Dexron III.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if the ATF 3+ is a fully synthetic fluid...

What if clutches are good and you have a low pressure problem in a transmission? Delayed shifting and hesitation?
Wouldn't you try an additive? Rebuilts are very expensive! Clunking, hard shifts and "kicks" are not signs of wear you need a rebuild.

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
i was told by a guy who has worked on mercedes his whole life to never use additives on these transmissions. even if it shifts hard, additives will eat at the clutch and you will need to do a rebuild much sooner than leavign the transmission shifting hard and leaving it that way, in most cases u can leave the transmission like that and will still last forever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jdc1244a - 5/9/2005 3:20 AM

Has the transmission in question received regular service? How many miles?
I do not know. It's one of my bosses customer.
The car has 200k miles and the fluid looks clean but is is not that "oily" as it should. The feel is kind of worn, but not burnt. Clear but looks tired.

I am thinking what to advise here?
Honestly, I used lucas transmission fix before on other transmissions that had bad shifting after fluid change. But never tried that on a Mercdes benz yet.

The problem with this transmission is that when shifted hot it makes the whole car jump both in reverse and drive. I mean when you engage with a shifter to "D" or "R". Both ways. The car jumps pretty bad. I almost hit another while trying to park it on a street. It's dangerous.

The iddle is rougly OK. It's the transmission.
I am going to change the fluid first but wanted to know if it's acceptable to put something better than Dexron III. I remember ATF 3+ doing miracles on other cars. I think fully synthetic atf is ATF 4+ made by MOPAR. It's quite expensive. But it is the best fluid I ever experienced.

However, I would never put it into someones car, because of the responsibility. I would test it on mine, but I sold it and that's why I ask here.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
You might want to check the rear seal on the trany while your at it.[:)]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some people have reported success with trans x.

I have never heard of ATF+3? Is it a brand name?

Some people swear by Mobil 1 ATF, it tends to clean things out so that could be a mixed blessing.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I use Dextron 4, and have had no problems to report.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I have never used ATF+3.. I have yet to come across it on the shelves.. Typically I'll run the Febi fluid in my cars and customers cars who want to stay OE. I change the fluid/filter every 15K. I have friends who run synthetic w/ very good results in the 722.3XX's, and they typically run 30K intervals.

In customers cars that were on their last legs as far as a transmission goes I have used Lucas trans additive. I have one customer who has since put over 10,000 miles on a transmission that w/o the additive slips so Badly you're afraid to drive the car. A lot of these additives are a thickener to boost line pressures and a friction modifier that helps the clutchs grab (a-la Type F trans fluid).

Not something I would recoemend running if your transmission is working properly, but if it's on the way out and you can't dial out slipage w/ the modulator I say give it a go.

Jonathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts