Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 42000 miles on our GL 320 and my dealer recommends changing the Transmission fluid.
The charge for this service is $598. They tell me that they have a special machine that fills the trans from beneath the car because there is no trans fluid on top.

My question: has anyone out there changed their trans fluid on their own? I would like some tips on how to do it myself.

If you have changed the power steering fluid, let me know on that too!

Thanks.
Whalerdude:thumbsup:

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
$600 is too much. I just had my dealer do mine at 52000 mi (car was already in for other work). They did the tranny oil change for $266.65.
It included:
oil filter @$31.50
gasket @ $17.44
6 screws @ $9.72 total
'ring, general' @$1.62
5 (L?) ATF 134 @81.00
1 pipe @ $2.16
2 magnets @ $8.90
labor - $150
I had them do it because I don't have a good way to lift the car overhead and I didn't want to mess around crawling in and out under the rig. You can see from the stuff they replaced that it isn't a trivial operation. And you CANNOT add or check the oil from the top!

·
Registered
11 Posts
On our 08 gl320 with 43K, I was quoted $550 at the dealer I bought from. Called another just as close and am settling for $375 to include all the look over and top off items typically part of the oil change service.

I've been doing the other maintenance items myself and could probably do this as well. While under warranty, they'll get the biz in exchange for blaming me for not doing it right should something happen down the road. Bringing it in on Monday.

Fourdiesel, you got a great deal.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
I have 42000 miles on our GL 320 and my dealer recommends changing the Transmission fluid.
The charge for this service is $598. They tell me that they have a special machine that fills the trans from beneath the car because there is no trans fluid on top.

My question: has anyone out there changed their trans fluid on their own? I would like some tips on how to do it myself.
Tip: you can't do it yourself.

Indeed the transmission is both drained and filled via the same hole. Takes a special tool. Takes a computer to tell you when you've put in enough fluid (there is no dipstick).

Should cost more in the $400 range.

And, of course "dealer recommends" is the incorrect concept. Your maintenance booklet "specifies," and "specifies" means something altogether different than "recommends."

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
Please. Of course you can. Whether you actually want to is a different story.

Indeed the transmission is both drained and filled via the same hole. Takes a special tool. Takes a computer to tell you when you've put in enough fluid (there is no dipstick).
I love "special tools." That list of manufacturer special tools for the BMWs I'm most familiar with includes a very expensive block of wood to use as a spacer when installing or removing cams on certain BMW motors and a hex screwdriver to remove radios. Classic.

You don't need to a computer to tell you when you've put enough fluid in. Just measure what came out and put the same amount of new fluid back in. Add a skosh more if you're concerned any may have leaked out.

You need to be careful, for sure. But we're not talking rocket surgery here.

Personally, I think it's worth $400 to appease the dealer during the warranty period in exchange for not having to have the argument if/when the transmission fails (and I'm a reasonably decent home mechanic, doing a fair amount of the work on my race car myself).

But it's definitely not rocket science to change the fluid.

- Mark

·
Registered
128 Posts

And, of course "dealer recommends" is the incorrect concept. Your maintenance booklet "specifies," and "specifies" means something altogether different than "recommends."
Be afraid.... be very afraid! C'mon, a special tool?!?! A computer.... hardly. Do you work for a MB service department or something?

Pump in the same amount that was drained (a tad more to account for the leakage while screwing on the drain plug). As for a special tool, go buy a pump for $20 at your local automotive parts store.
I've done tranny fluid changes on multiple vehicles from my garage and none of them have exploded so far:rolleyes:. Most auto makers don't even recommend the "flush"; just a drain and refill.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Be afraid.... be very afraid! C'mon, a special tool?!?! A computer.... hardly. Do you work for a MB service department or something?

Pump in the same amount that was drained (a tad more to account for the leakage while screwing on the drain plug). As for a special tool, go buy a pump for $20 at your local automotive parts store.
I've done tranny fluid changes on multiple vehicles from my garage and none of them have exploded so far:rolleyes:. Most auto makers don't even recommend the "flush"; just a drain and refill.
You've done a 7-speed Mercedes 722.9? Somehow I doubt it.

·
Registered
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
51 Posts
You've done a 7-speed Mercedes 722.9? Somehow I doubt it.
We all want to think of our cars as special and unique, but they very rarely are in reality.

It's a mass-market SUV, not an Italian exotic.

- Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had mine done at 42000 and it was $409. I used a coupon I got in the mail from the dealer I bought it from for 15% and it came to $385.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo, 2009 GL320
246 Posts
Just had ours done a couple of months ago on an 09 GL320: $348 was the bottom line.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
You are so correct - no I haven't.....yet. I'll have to wait until my wife drives the GL another 39,399 miles. You are more than welcome to further fund your dealer's latte maker:).
I don't work for a dealer and I am in a totally different profession but I sense in this and countless other posts negativity towards authorized dealers. People expect dealers to do something that they themselves don't. They expect dealers to work without profit. Just ask yourself if you d like the same attitude from folks that fund YOUR latte machine.

I know there are bad dealers but I also know there are a lot of good ones. I am talking in general here, people want the world without having to pay for it. They want a $29.99 special for tranny fluid job from a competent mechanic that works only on Benzes. Can't have it all folks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't work for a dealer and I am in a totally different profession but I sense in this and countless other posts negativity towards authorized dealers. People expect dealers to do something that they themselves don't. They expect dealers to work without profit. Just ask yourself if you d like the same attitude from folks that fund YOUR latte machine.

I know there are bad dealers but I also know there are a lot of good ones. I am talking in general here, people want the world without having to pay for it. They want a $29.99 special for tranny fluid job from a competent mechanic that works only on Benzes. Can't have it all folks.
If you only knew what a dealer REALLY does when they charge you a few hundred dollars for the A,B,C,.... service, you'd have a different opinion. But then again, if you have no problems funding their latte machines, more power to you. You are right, no one should work for free and I'm all about capitalism. I just refuse to get ripped off knowing that I can do a better job than a mechanic on certain projects. I too don't make a living working with my hands, but I sure enjoy tinkering with machines!

·
Registered
2006 E350 4-Matic, 2008 GL320 CDI, 1984 300D, 1975 911S, BMW R1200RT
25 Posts

Here's the fact: You CAN do it yourself because I did on my 2008 GL320 CDI.

The deal is that you need to decide if you really WANT to.

Some of the prices that are being thrown around look pretty attractive for the amount of work (and potential mess) involved. But if your dealer is incapable of following MB procedure, then maybe it's the way to go. I don't let my dealer touch any of mine anymore unless it's warranty work.

To help you decide if you want to try it yourself take a look at this link:

DIY 722.9 7G-tronic 7-speed automatic transmission service thread - MBWorld.org Forums

This fellow has done an excellent job outlining what needs to be done. Keep in mind his 7-speed tranny is in a C class and you need to verify everything (temps, torques, etc.) before doing your GL.

Yes, you need to either buy or fabricate some special tools. No, you do NOT need a computer to tell if you have enough fluid. That is determined by a plastic riser over the drain hole at a certain temperature.

I am on this forum because I LIKE cars and I LIKE to work on them and I LIKE to hear good DIY tips from other people who LIKE cars. If you don't LIKE to work on cars then QUIT telling everybody what they CAN'T do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's the fact: You CAN do it yourself because I did on my 2008 GL320 CDI.

The deal is that you need to decide if you really WANT to.

Some of the prices that are being thrown around look pretty attractive for the amount of work (and potential mess) involved. But if your dealer is incapable of following MB procedure, then maybe it's the way to go. I don't let my dealer touch any of mine anymore unless it's warranty work.

To help you decide if you want to try it yourself take a look at this link:

DIY 722.9 7G-tronic 7-speed automatic transmission service thread - MBWorld.org Forums

This fellow has done an excellent job outlining what needs to be done. Keep in mind his 7-speed tranny is in a C class and you need to verify everything (temps, torques, etc.) before doing your GL.

Yes, you need to either buy or fabricate some special tools. No, you do NOT need a computer to tell if you have enough fluid. That is determined by a plastic riser over the drain hole at a certain temperature.

I am on this forum because I LIKE cars and I LIKE to work on them and I LIKE to hear good DIY tips from other people who LIKE cars. If you don't LIKE to work on cars then QUIT telling everybody what they CAN'T do.
excellent write up. i'm buying the parts now and will probably knock this out when the weather warms up..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts