Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!<br>
<br>
I have an R129/SL500 that has had some transmission issues, and at the present time has an unknown amount of fluid in it! I've talked to parts guys, and have received the 'special tool' (a long dipstick # 140-589-15-21-00) and a 'lock pin' that apparently goes with it. Does anyone know how to use this tool(s) to check the fluid level? I've scoured the web, and don't see the answer readily available. The end of the stick has a rubber piece with 4 marks, and a couple of temperatures (hot and cold states of the fluid I assume) but I'm not sure how far the stick should be inserted. If I push the stick all the way into the tube, the reading would indicate WAY overfull. If anyone can assist me in this technical venture it would be greatly appreciated! (how frustrating!.. can't even check the tranny fluid!!) <br>
<br>
Thanks in advance-the info I've received previously has been of great help!! This is definately THE FORUM for MB!! Very professional looking site as well :)<br>
<br>
-Dan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don´t know, if you still need the information, but anyway,<br>
<br>
The marks on the dipstick represent different transmission oil temperatures. You should check the transmission oil temperature before testing, you would need some kind of device from your dealer, because it is different to the engine temperature.<br>
<br>
Best temperature for testing would be 80 degree celsius. Normally after a few miles (10-20) of driving you should have about 80 degrees, so if you don´t have a testing device, you can do so.<br>
<br>
Then you have to put the dipstick all the way down. Oil level should be around the 80 degree mark. You shouldn´t test it with cold transmission. The service manual says temperature should have exceeded the 80 degrees mark once. If it is way above it, you have too much.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts